小编摘要：新闻集团（News Corp.）旗下英国报业子公司News International说，对于该公司的英国文摘报纸《世界新闻报》（News of the World）在一些民事诉讼中被控攻击私人电话留言帐户以寻找独家新闻素材，公司表示负有责任，并
新闻集团（News Corp.）旗下英国报业子公司News International说，对于该公司的英国文摘报纸《世界新闻报》（News of the World）在一些民事诉讼中被控攻击私人电话留言帐户以寻找独家新闻素材，公司表示负有责任，并表示道歉。该公司希望藉此控制这场为时已久的论战造成的损害。
Seeking to contain the damage from a long-running controversy, News Corp.'s U.K. newspaper unit said it is apologizing and admitting liability in some civil lawsuits in which the company's racy British tabloid, the News of the World, has been accused of hacking into private voicemail accounts in pursuit of scoops.
News International said Friday it would offer an 'unreserved apology' to some civil litigants and admit liability in cases that meet certain criteria. It also will establish a compensation scheme to process claims against the tabloid.
Getty Images向News International提起诉讼的原告包括女演员西耶娜？米勒（Sienna Miller）（右）和她的继母凯利？赫蓬（Kelly Hoppen）。已经提起的诉讼有24起，不过原告代理律师说，可能有更多诉讼有待提起。目前为止，News International承认在其中的八起案件中负有责任，包括女演员西耶娜？米勒（Sienna Miller）和前英国文化大臣泰莎？乔尔（Tessa Jowell）提起的诉讼。尽管News International过去曾就有关电话窃听的民事诉讼达成和解，这次却是该公司首次承认有责任。
Two dozen active cases have been filed, but plaintiffs' lawyers say there could be many more waiting in the wings. So far, News International is admitting liability in eight of the 24 cases, which include those brought by actress Sienna Miller and former U.K. government minister Tessa Jowell. Though News International has settled some civil suits in the past related to phone hacking, this is the first time the company is admitting liability.
The move represents News International's first major mea culpa in a story that, for five years, has plagued the U.K.'s dominant newspaper publisher. The company initially said only one reporter was aware of the invasive reporting tactics, an assertion proved untrue by later events.
'[P]ast behavior at the News of the World in relation to voicemail interception is a matter of genuine regret,' News International said in a statement. 'It is now apparent that our previous inquiries failed to uncover important evidence and we acknowledge our actions then were not sufficiently robust.'
'This will begin the process of bringing these cases to a fair resolution with damages appropriate to the extent of the intrusion,' the statement said. News International said it will continue to contest cases it deems meritless or outside the scope of its responsibility. News Corp. is the parent company of The Wall Street Journal.
The development signals the company's hope that it can close a chapter in the episode, which has brought consistent criticism of the tabloid's controversial reporting tactics. It isn't clear, however, how many civil cases News International will be able to settle with plaintiffs─especially wealthy celebrities who may be intent on publicly airing the details of their cases against the company.
2011-04-12 10:13 编辑：icetonado