101. Thus in addition to the chances of going away from the right path outlined above, the scientific investigator shares with the ordinary citizen the possibilities of falling into errors of reasoning in the ways we have just indicated, and many others as well.
102. He made a hole and peering through, could see jewellery, and other objects stacked in piles in the shadows that extended beyond the beam of light penetrating the interior.
103. Neither Ayat nor the Rassoul brothers noticed, however, that most of the pieces they were selling were of a type not previously seen in the marketplace—pieces whose existence had been suspected but which had not yet been discovered by archaeologists.
104. “The biggest construction project of this century”, explained French President Francois Mitterand in January, 1986 as he and then British prime minister Margaret Thatcher jointly announced that the two countries would finally overcome ancient quarrels and prejudices and forge a link across the narrow Channel separating them.
105. Perhaps the fact that many of these first studies considered only algae(水藻) of a size that could be collected in a net (net phytoplankton), a practice that overlooked the smaller phytoplankton(浮游植物群落) that we now know grazers are most likely to feed on, led to a de-emphasis of the role of grazers in subsequent research.
106. The converse observation, of the absence of grazers (食草动物)in areas of high phytoPlankton(浮游植物群落)concentration, led Hardy to propose his principle of animal exclusion , which hypothesized that phytoplankton produced a repellent(驱虫剂) that excluded grazers from regions of high phytoplankton concentration.
107. Although these molecules allow radiation at visible at wave lengths, where most of the energy of sunlight is concentrated, to pass through, they absorb some of the longer-wavelength, infrared emission(红外辐射) radiated from the Earth’s surface, radiation that would otherwise be transmitted back into space.
108. In addition, the style of some Black novels, like Jean Toomer’s Cane, verges on expressionism or surrealism(超现实主义), does this technique provide a counter point to the prevalent theme that portrays the fate against which Black heroes are pitted, a theme usually conveyed by more naturalistic modes of expression?
109. Roseenblatt’s thematic analysis permits considerable objectivity; he even explicitly states that it is not his intention to judge the merit of the various works—yet his reluctance seems misplaced, especially since an attempt to appraise might have led to interesting results.
110. Thus, for instance, it may come as a shock to mathematicians to learn that the Schrodinger equation (薛定谔的方程式)for the hydrogen atom is not a literally correct description of this atom, but only an approximation to a somewhat more correct equation taking account of spin, magnetic dipole (磁性偶极子), and relatiristic effects, and that this corrected equation is itself only an imperfect approximation to an infinite set of quantum field theoretical equations( 量子场论方程式).
111. Great comic artists assume that truth may bear all lights, and thus they seek to accentuate( 强调) contradictions in social action, not gloss over or transcend them by appeals to extrasocial symbols of divine ends, cosmic purpose, or laws of nature.
112. The hydrologic(水文地质的) cycle, a major topic in this science, is the complete cycle of phenomena through which water passes, beginning as atmospheric water vapor, passing into liquid and solid form as precipitation (降水(量)), thence along and into the ground surface, and finally again returning to the form of atmospheric water vapor by means of evaporation and transpiration(散发).
113. My point is that its central consciousness—its profound understanding of class and gender as shaping influences on people’s lives—owes much to that earlier literary heritage, a heritage that, in general, has not been sufficiently valued by most contemporary literary critics.
114. In the early 1950’s historians who studies preindustrial Europe (which we may define here as Europe in the period from roughly 1300 to 1800) began, for the first time in large numbers, to investigate more of the preindustrial European population than the 2 or 3 percent who comprised the political and social elite (精华) : the kings, generals, judges, nobles, bishops, and local magnates (要人) who had hitherto (迄今) usually filled history books.
115. The historian Frederick J. Tuner wrote in the 1890’s that the agrarian(农民) discontent (不满) that had been developing steadily in the United States since about 1870 had been precipitated (加速) by the closing of the internal frontier—that is , the depletion (枯竭) of available new land needed for further expansion of the American farming system.
116. Fallois proposed that Proust had tried to begin a novel in 1908, abandoned it for what was to be a long demonstration of Saint-Beure’s blindness to the real nature of great writing, found the essay giving rise to personal memories and fictional developments, and allowed these to take over in a steadily developing novel.
117. The best evidence for the layered mantle (地幔) thesis is the well-established fact that volcanic rocks found on oceanic islands, islands believed to result from mantle plumes (地柱) arising from the lower mantle, are composed of material fundamentally different from that of the midocean ridge system, whose source, most geologists contend, is the upper mantle.
118. In October 1838, I happened to read for amusement Malthus on Population, and being well prepared to appreciate the struggle for existence which everywhere goes on, from long continued observation of the habits of animals and plants, it at once struck me that, under these circumstances, favorable variations would tend to be preserved, and unfavourable ones to be destroyed.
119. But these beliefs about peptide hormones (肽激素) were questioned as laboratory after laboratory found that antiserums(抗血清) to peptide hormones, when injected into the brain, bind in places other than the hypothalamus(下丘脑), indicating that either the hormones or substances that cross-react with the antiserums are present.
120 Proponents(支持者)of the so-called Golden Quadrangle (金四角)，which would link areas of Bruma, Laos, Thailand and China's Yunnan province, are seeking an Asian Development Bank feasibility study of joint development and business projects that could free the region's hinterlands(内地)from their notorious dependence on the heroin trade.
115、历史学家Frederick J Tuner在19世纪90年代写道：自1870年以来美国农民的不满一直在缓慢增长，直到1870年关闭了内部前沿以后就被加速了——就是说，用于扩张农业系统的新土地资源已经枯竭了。
Passage Twenty-five (Exploration of the Titanic) After resting on the ocean floor, split asunder and rusting, for nearly three-quarters of a century, a great ship seemed to
Passage Twenty-seven (Analysis and Interpretation of the News) The newspaper must provide for the reader the facts, unalloyed, unslanted, objectively selected facts. But in