CHAPTER VII. Legal Liabilities
Article 40. Unless otherwise provided for in this law, producers shall bear civil liabilities pursuant to the "Law of the People's Republic of China on Product Quality" and other pertinent laws and regulations should any of the following circumstances arise in connection with the commodities or services they provide:
(1) Where the commodities are defective;
(2) Where the commodities cannot function as expected and are presented without any explanation at the time of their sale;
(3) Where the commodity standards do not match those specified on the commodities or their packages;
(4) Where the quality does not match that stated in product descriptions, on samples, or through other means;
(5) Where the commodities are produced or sold although their elimination has been clearly mandated by the state, or they have lost their efficacy or undergone property changes;
(6) Where the commodities are not sold in sufficient quantities;
(7) Where service items and charges violate the agreements;
(8) Where consumers' requests for repairing, reworking, replacing, or returning the commodities; for supplying shortfalls; for refunding the commodity prices or service charges; or for compensating for losses are deliberately shelved or unjustifiably rejected; and
(9) Where consumers' rights and interests are hurt in other circumstances provided for in laws and regulations.
Article 41. Business operators who provide commodities or services and whose products or services have caused physical injury to consumers or other victims, shall pay for the latter's medical fees, nursing charges during treatment period and loss of income due to absence from work; and also - when disability results therefrom - expenses in acquiring aiding apparatus needed by the victims, the victims' living subsidies, disability compensations and the necessary living expenses of the victims' dependents and - when a crime is committed - have their criminal liabilities investigated according to law.
Article 42. Business operators who provide commodities or services and whose products or services have caused death of the consumers or other victims, shall pay for the latter's funeral expenses, death compensation and the necessary living expenses of the victims' dependents and when a crime is committed have their criminal liabilities investigated according to law.
Article 43. Business operators who, in violation of article 25 of this law, have infringed on the consumers' personal dignity or personal freedom shall stop such infringements, restore the latter's reputation, eliminate influences against the latter, offer apologies and pay damages.
Article 44. Business operators who provide commodities or services and whose products or services have caused damage to the consumers' properties, shall, as demanded by the consumers, take such civil liabilities as repair, rebuild, change, return of goods, full supply of short items, refund of payments for goods or services and compensations for losses. If there is an agreement between the business operators and the consumers, the agreement should be enforced accordingly.
Article 45. With respect of sales of commodities with warranty stipulations on repair, change, or return of goods either under state regulations or an agreement between the business operators and the consumers, the business operators should be responsible for the change or return of such goods when the consumers find them not in normal working conditions after two repairs during the warranty period.
When the consumers demand a repair, change, or return of large commodities under a warranty clause, the business operators should be responsible for the transportation charges reasonably incurred.
Article 46. When business operators supply goods through mail service, they should do so according to agreement. If they fail to fulfill the agreement, they should, as demanded by the consumers, enforce the agreement or refund payments and reimburse the consumers with costs reasonably incurred.
Article 47. When business operators supply goods or services on a prepayment basis, they should do so according to agreement. If they fail to fulfill the agreement, they should, as demanded by the consumers, enforce the agreement or refund prepayments, pay interest derived therefrom and reimburse the consumers with costs reasonably incurred.
Article 48. Business operators whose commodities have been certified by the relevant departments as substandard according to law shall accept return of such commodities as demanded by the consumers.
Article 49. Business operators found to have committed fraud in providing goods or services shall, as demanded, compensate the consumer with a sum doubling what the consumers have paid for such commodities or services.
Article 50. When business operators commit one of the acts described in the following paragraph, the provisions of the "Law of the People' s Republic of China on Qualities of Domestically Produced Products" and other relevant laws and regulations concerning the organs and methods of punishment shall apply. Where there are no applicable provisions of laws and regulations, the department in charge of industrial and commercial administration shall order the business operators to rectify their acts and shall, based on the circumstances, issue a warning, confiscate their illegal earnings and or impose a fine at an amount equivalent to one to five times the amount of their illegal earnings. Where there are no illegal earnings, a fine of up to 10,000 yuan shall be imposed. The department in charge of industrial and commercial administration shall order the business operators to suspend operations for rectification or rescind their business licences if the circumstances of their offenses are serious:
(1) Producing or selling commodities not in conformity with the personal and property safety requirements;
(2) Putting impure or fake materials in the commodities, selling fake and inferior goods as genuine and quality goods, or passing substandard commodities as qualified ones;
(3) Producing commodities which have been ordered stopped by the state, or selling commodities that have expired and deteriorated in quality;
(4) Falsifying place of production; falsifying or using other's factory name and address; or falsifying or using certification, brand name, and other quality marks;
(5) Selling products that fail to go through necessary inspection and vaccination or falsifying the result of inspection and vaccination;
(6) Making misleading, false propaganda on commodities or service;
(7) Deliberately procrastinate or reject without reason consumes' request for repair, reprocessing, replacing, returning, replenishing the commodities; their request for refund; and their request for compensation;
(8) Infringing on consumers' personal dignity or encroaching on their personal freedom;
(9) Other acts that infringe on consumers' rights and interests punishable under the provisions of laws and regulations.
Article 51. Business operators who do not agree with the administrative penalties may, within 15 days of the receipt of the penalty decision, petition the body at the higher level for reconsideration. Business operators who do not agree with the decision made after reconsideration may, within 15 days of the receipt of the decision, bring suits at the people's court. They may also go directly to the people's court to file suits.
Article 52. Those who obstruct, by acts or threats of violence, the performance of duties by functionaries of relevant administrative departments in accordance with law shall be investigated in accordance with law to determine their criminal responsibility. Those who obstruct or prevent functionaries of relevant administrative departments from performing their duties in accordance with the law, without acts or threats of violence, shall be punished in accordance with the provisions of the "Regulations of the People's Republic of China Governing Punishment for Offenses Against Public Order".
Article 53. State functionaries who are guilty of dereliction of duty or who shelter business operators to infringe on the legitimate rights and interests of consumers shall be given administrative penalties by other units or the organ at the higher level; when the circumstances of their offense are serious and constitute a crime, investigation shall be conducted to determine their criminal responsibilities.
CHAPTER VIII. Supplementary Provisions
Article 54. The purchase of capital goods by peasants for use directly in agricultural production shall be handled with reference to this law.
Article 55. This law shall take effect on 1st January 1994.
第四十条 经营者提供商品或者服务有下列情形之一的，除本法另有规定外，应当依照《中华人民共和国产品质量法》和其他有关法律、法规的规定，承担民事责任： （一）商品存在缺陷的； （二）不具备商品应当具备的使用性能而出售时未作说明的； （三）不符合在商品或者其包装上注明采用的商品标准的； （四）不符合商品说明、实物样品等方式表明的质量状况的； （五）生产国家明令淘汰的商品或者销售失效、变质的商品的； （六）销售的商品数量不足的； （七）服务的内容和费用违反约定的； （八）对消费者提出的修理、重作、更换、退货、补足商品数量、退还货款和服务费用或者赔偿损失的要求，故意拖延或者无理拒绝的； （九）法律、法规规定的其他损害消费者权益的情形。
第四十五条 对国家规定或者经营者与消费者约定包修、包换、包退的商品，经营者应当负责修理、更换或者退货。在保修期内两次修理仍不能正常使用的，经营者应当负责更换或者退货。 对包修、包换、包退的大件商品，消费者要求经营者修理、更换、退货的，经营者应当承担运输等合理费用。