A long weekend is a great opportunity to do something a little different. The extra free time gives people the chance to enjoy something they might not be able to accomplish during a usual weekend. Many people use a long weekend for a getaway, a short trip to leave the stress of their everyday lives behind and explore, learn, or relax.
• Many hotels and resorts offer getaways that emphasize romance. They feature something special to start the getaway, such as champagne, flowers, or a fruit basket in the room on arrival. Getaway packages usually include a room with something special, a heart shaped bed, perhaps, or an in room whirlpool bath. Additional benefits could be room service meals or other private dining, plus tickets or discounts for local attractions.
Visit a Spa
• Spa getaways can take place at a location that focuses only on spa services or at a hotel that offers a spa as one of its features. Some spas emphasize treatments geared to their geographic area or a local attraction. A spa in a grape growing region might provide grape juice masks, for instance, or a hotel near a hot spring could offer mineral baths. Most spas offer a range of massage, health and beauty treatments, so a spa getaway can be relaxing as well as providing other benefits.
Learn a Skill
• A long weekend may not be enough time to become an expert at something new, but it provides a way for people to begin their explorations. Some organizations offer intensive courses that last two or three days. People with special interests can get away from their routines while learning such things as how to cook, make beer, speak a new language, design gardens, or take better photographs.
Play or Watch Sports
• For people who enjoy sports, a long weekend is a change to experience the sport in a new area. People can use a long weekend getaway to play a championship golf course, attend a special baseball game, or learn to operate a car like a racecar driver.
• There are organizations that partner with travel agencies or other businesses to have accommodations and activities for short-term volunteers. Most volunteer vacations involve ecology friendly or humanitarian activities. A volunteer vacation getaway is a way to relieve stress and help others at the same time.
Stay in a National Park
• For those who want to relax in a rustic environment, a getaway to a national park fits the bill. Most national parks provide camping areas for tents and trailers and several have cabins within the park available to rent. A getaway to a national park provides privacy, stress relief, and the time to become acquainted with an important natural resource.