1. Though many people observed the accident in the center of the city, they were not sure about the exact sequence of events.
[A] order [B] process [C] result [D] cause
2. Davy Crockett was reared in eastern Tennessee.
[A] born [B] well-known [C] brought up [D] killed
3. Kit Carson, an American frontiersman, was one of the most sensational heroes of the Old West.
[A] exciting [B] distracting [C] enigmatic [D] ostentatious
4. Automobile experts have shown that halogen headlights penetrate thick fog more effectively than traditional incandescent headlights and thus help to reduce accidents.
[A] dissolve [B] perceive [C] touch [D] pierce
5. The football player was penalized for unnecessary roughness.
[A] side-lined [B] condoned [C] punished [D] condemned
6. I feel obligated to give my opinion on the subject.
[A] required [B] forbidden [C] determined [D] encouraged
7. Justices of the peace have. jurisdiction over the trials of some civil suits involving minor offenses.
[A] supremacy [B] authority [C] guidance [D] obedience
8. The western slopes of the mountains of the Sierra Nevade Range are deeply incised by numerous streams.
[A] fed [B] cut [C] flooded [D] distended
9. The Jamestown settlers explored Virginia pimarily for fishing and trading, and only incidentally investigated traces of a lost colony on Roanoke Island.
[A] sporadically [B] by chance [C] by fault [D] unaccountably
10. That poor man is so weak that he can scarcely walk.
[A] crude [B] bereft [C] adept [D] decrepit
11. In his letter of January 27, Mr. Anderson declined the offer.
[A] repeated [B] refused [C] described [D] analyzed
12. Many caves are formed by the pounding of ocean waves on the coastline.
[A] cavalries [B] caverns [C] shells [D] beaches
13. Agricultural experts always caution farmers to irrigate in regions receiving only light rainfall.
[A] remind [B] teach [C] find [D] warn
14. In many parts of the world, talismans are used to ward off evil.
[A] keep away [B] describe [C] transcend [D] seek out
15. Variations in the color of sea water from blue to green seem to be caused by high or low concentrations of salt.
[A] Changes [B] Descriptions [C] Measures [D] Clarity
16. The study of law, with its great number of cases, statutes and contracts, can be a tedious procéss.
[A] curious [B] tiresome [C] challenging [D] (an) overwhelming
17. We can walk across the river here because the water is very shallow.
[A] shoal [B] hollow [C] mellow [D] callow
18. I can't wear this shirt; it's too shabby.
[A] wrinkled [B] crumpled [C] dirty [D] worn out
19. Tax rebates can have far-reaching effects on the economy.
[A] accountants [B] laws [C] refunds [D] credits
20. By 1929, two years after the start of the “talkies”, motion picture theaters in the United States were attracting 100 million patrons every week.
[A] owners [B] actors [C] customers [D] critics
Keys: ACADC ABBBD BBDAA BADCC