Is It Appropriate for College Students to Rent Apartments Outside Campus?
Nowadays, many university students do not like to live in a dorm in the campus, but choose to rent apartments outside. If we want to know whether it is appropriate to do so, we should analyze its advantages and disadvantages.
The advantages of living outside campus are obvious. Students who live outside can enjoy more freedom and have more independence. For senior students, they may also have more opportunities for jobs. But there are also many disadvantages. For instance, they may have less time to know other students, they have to spend time traveling forth and back, their life may be less interesting, and it is obviously more expensive and less safe to live outside.
Considering the advantages and disadvantages, I think students should decide according to their own situations. If they want to save money and have more time to study and more contacts with other students, it is better for them to live inside the campus. But if they value freedom and independence more than anything else and do not have to worry about the costs, it is also appropriate for them to rent a room or an apartment outside the campus. Whatever they decide, their decisions should be appropriate for themselves.
Part ⅡReading Comprehension (Skimming and Scanning)
1. Y本题的判断依据为文章第一个小标题下的第三、四句"But some skills are lasting pleasures. Such is reading.(阅读能给人以持久的快乐。)"由此我们可判定本句与原文所述之意相符。
2. N本题的判断依据为文章第一个小标题下倒数第二句"To them and countless others all over the world, reading is a source of deepest and fullest enjoyment.(对于他们和世界上无数其他的人来说,阅读是带给他们最大限度享受和快乐的源泉。)"据此我们可知并非指世界上所有的人。
3. Y本题判断依据为文章第二个小标题下面的一段。该段讲述了阅读犹如一泉活水,使我们精神振奋,给予我们生命,阅读能使我们终身保持年轻,由此我们可判定本 题的表述与原文所述之意相符。
4. NG本题解题依据为第三个小标题下面一段。该段讲述了我们要敢于梦想不可能实现的梦想,因为我们阅读的某些书籍能引领我们去实现,但本段并未提及阅读的书 籍如何帮助我们去实现心存已久的梦想。
5. to know yourself 本题有关认识自我的问题，定位于小标题Your Know-thyself Aid第一段。答案是古希腊人给的两个字：Know thyself，意即know yourself。
6. talents, abilities and interests 本题有关职业问题，定位于小标题Your Vocational Counselor and Consultant中。解题依据为该部分的第一段以及第二段第一句。
7. indispensable 本题有关找到工作和经过训练之后的读书问题，解题的主要依据是小标题Your Vocational Counselor and Consultant的第四段，该段之后的段落谈的都是读书对变换工作的重要性。另外本题的答案也可以是important, useful等。
8. unexpected change 本题有关工作变化问题，定位于小标题Your Vocational Counselor and Consultant下的第五、六、七段，通读这几段，即可确定答案。
9. time and space 本题有关读书有助于扩充阅历的问题，定位于小标题Your Experience Extender的第三段，该段的第一、二句就是答案的依据"Space and time! How they limit us."
10. experience? extender本题提到的Carlyle出现在文章最后一段，根据该段的最后一句"Make reading your experience-extender for the rest of your life."即可得出答案。
11. C 12. B 13. B 14. D 15. A 16. C 17. D 18. C
19. B 20. C 21. A 22. D 23. C 24. B 25. D
11. M: It really makes my blood boil when this sort of thing happens.
W: You'd better cool yourself down first.
Q: How does the man feel now?
12. M: Do you mind if I change the channel?
W: No, not at all. The program is so boring.
Q: What are they doing now?
13. M: National Flight 219 to Shanghai is delayed due to severe weather conditions. Please stand by for additional information.
W: Oh no! I hate these long delays!
Q: Where is the woman?
14. M: Mom, may I play the computer games for a while?
W: Behave yourself! Dad is in the study.
Q: What does the mother ask the child to do?
15. M: I'm told the Seven Swords just finished its last cut.
W: Yes, it will be a hit, I think. When will it be on, do you know?
Q: What are they talking about?
16. M: I'm terribly sorry for my negligence.
W: Apologies may count if they can get the losses back.
Q: What do we learn from the conversation?
17. M: Will we have an English examination this afternoon?
W: It's postponed because the teacher has to attend a conference.
Q: What do you know from the woman's answer?
18. M: My room smells of cigarette smoke. I can't stand it. Could you change my room, please?
W: Let me see-I'm sorry, but we don't have any more non-smoking rooms. We won't charge you for your room tonight.
Q: What can you learn from the conversation?
Now you'll hear two long conversations.
M: Hi, mom, what are we having for dinner tonight?
W: I haven't started yet. Why, have you any requests?
M: How about tsunami for a change-I don't know what it is, but I heard some Japanese people using the word on the bus the other day. Sounds like a food. Maybe it's similar to sushi.
W: Nonsense. Tsunami comes from Japanese words meaning harbor and wave. If we had a tsunami, it would be the other way around, young man.
M: Why? What is it?
W: I mean it could swallow you up. A tsunami is an enormous series of very powerful waves.
M: Could you surf on them? That could be cool!
W: They're not cool. They are very destructive. When they pound the shores of populated areas, they cause tremendous damage. They destroy everything in their path.
M: What causes them?
W: I think they are caused by some sort of shock, like an earthquake, volcano, or landslide, that starts a chain reaction in the ocean.
M: Do the waves get so big that they crush buildings?
W: Easily. They can be dozens of meters high. They toss cars and houses around as though they were children's toys.
M: Can you see them coming?
W: You can see them at quite a distance. But there's not much you can do. In the ocean they move at up to 800 km per hour, but when it reaches the shore, the system slows down and the waves get bigger.
M: How big?
W: They can reach 30 meters. Big enough to finish you off in one gulp.
Questions 19 to 22 are based on the
conversation you have just heard.
19. What does the son think a tsunami is?
20. What does Mom imply by saying, "If we had a tsunami, it would be the other way around"?
21. What does the son think surfing on tsunami waves would be like?
22. Which of the following is NOT mentioned as the cause of a tsunami?
Passage Twenty-five (Exploration of the Titanic) After resting on the ocean floor, split asunder and rusting, for nearly three-quarters of a century, a great ship seemed to
Passage Twenty-seven (Analysis and Interpretation of the News) The newspaper must provide for the reader the facts, unalloyed, unslanted, objectively selected facts. But in