41. As a _______actor, he can perform, sing, dance and play several kinds of musical instruments.
A) flexible B) versatile C) sophisticated D) productive
58. Somewhat shortsighted, she had the habit of ________at people.
A) glancing B) peering C) gazing D) scanning
44. Competition, they believe, _______ the national character than corrupt it.
A) enforces B) confirms C) intensifies D) strengthens
50. I think she hurt my feelings _________ rather than by accident as she claimed.
A) virtually B) deliberately C) literally D) appropriately
61. The poetry of Ezra Pound is sometimes difficult to understand because it contains so many ________ references.
A) obscure B) acute C) notable D) objective
62. The mayor was asked to ________his speech in order to allow his audience to raise questions.
A) constrain B) conduct C) condense D) converge
63. The morning news says a school bus ________ with a train at the junction and a group of policemen were sent there immediately.
A) bumped B) collided C) crashed D) struck
Passage Twenty-five (Exploration of the Titanic) After resting on the ocean floor, split asunder and rusting, for nearly three-quarters of a century, a great ship seemed to
Passage Twenty-seven (Analysis and Interpretation of the News) The newspaper must provide for the reader the facts, unalloyed, unslanted, objectively selected facts. But in