The horse and carriage is a thing of the past, but love and marriage are still with us and still closely interrelated. Most American marriages, 1 first marriages uniting young people, are the result of mutual attraction and affection 2 than practical considerations.
In the United States, parents do not 3 marriages for their children. Teenagers usually find mates through their own academic and social 4 and begin dating in high school. 5 young people feel free to choose their friends from 6 groups, most choose a mate of similar 7 . This is due in part to parental guidance. Parents cannot 8 spouses(配偶) for their children, but they can usually 9 choices by voicing disapproval of someone they consider unsuitable.
10 , marriages between members of different groups (interclass, interfaith, and interracial marriage) are 11 , probably because of greater mobility of today’s youth and the fact that they are 12 by fewer prejudices than their parents. Many young people leave their home towns to attend college, serve in the armed forces, 13 pursue a career in a bigger city. Once away from home and family, they are more 14 to date and marry outside their own social group.
In mobile American society, interclass marriages are neither 15 nor astonishing. Interfaith marriages are 16 on the rise, especially between Protestants and Catholics. On the other hand, interracial marriages are still very 17 . It can be difficult for interracial couples to find a place to live, maintain friendships, and 18 a family. Marriages between people of different national 19 (but the same race and religion) have been commonplace here 20 colonial times.
1. A)specially B) particularly C)naturally D)fortunately
2. A)more B)less C)rather D)better
3. A)arrange B)manage C)engage D)propose
4. A)position B)contract C)association D)contacts
5. A)Since If C)Though D)Hence
6. A)separate B)independent C)identical D)different
7. A)background B) circumstance C)situation D)condition
8. A)oppose B)select C)reject D)approve
9. A)influence B)afford C)make D)provide
10. A)Therefore B)Moreover C)However D)likewise
11. A)declining B)increasing C)prohibiting D)reducing
12. A)restrained B)reserved C)retained D)restricted
13. A)but B)so C)or D)otherwise
14. A)likely B) reluctant C)possible D)lonely
15. A)scarce B)risky C)rare D)rigid
16. A)in B)for C)at D)on
17. A)normal B)ordinary C)uncommon D)common
18. A)raise B)grow C)settle D)unite
19. A)source B)origin C)convention D) immigrant
20. A)since B)in C)for D)during
Anwser:1. C 2. B 3. A 4. D 5. B 6. D 7. A 8. C 9. A 10. B 11. C 12. D 13. B 14. A 15. C 16. D 17. B 18. A 19. C 20. A