1.When crossing a busy street, we should be very _______ of the speeding cars.
A) ignorant B) cautiousC) capable D) alert
2. I enjoyed all his novels with the ______ of his last.
A)excursionB) expeditionC)exceptionD) explosion
3. Man is controlled by his _____ as well as by his reason.
A) instinct B) distinctC) institutionD) impulse
4. Have _____ on him, he is only a boy.
A) careB) mercyC) pityD) attention
5. Archeologists _____ great value to the set of ancient cooking vessels unearthed in Shanxi province.
A) grantedB) devotedC) attachedD) directed
6. I need to _____ my English if I’m going toCanada for my holidays.
A) polish upB) look throughC) add upD) go through
7. Although he was a good swimmer, he was swept away by the _____ and drowned.
A) currentB) motionC) pressureD) air
8. Any blind exploitation of natural resources should be seen as a ____ against our offspring.
A) guiltyB) sinC) robberyD) violence
9. The favorable changes in her appearance are often ____ through hairdressing.
A) afflictedB) affected C) effected D) infected
10. North winds kept blowing all night long _____ , and the earth was frozen.
A) with great effort B) in vast amountC) in vainD) with great violence
11. The young man _____ his accuser and conducted his own defense in court.
A) opposedB) resistedC) confrontedD) withstood
12.Nuclear science should be developed to benefit people _____ harm them.
A) more thanB) other thanC) rather thanD) better than
13. I felt _____ for the stupid mistake I made.
A) innocentB) illegalC) guiltyD) unlawful
14. I hate people who _____ the end of a film.
A) revealB) rewriteC) reviseD) reverse
15.It was reported that 20 people were _____in the traffic accidents yesterday.
A) woundedB) injuredC) cruisedD) confronted
16.He explained to us what they _____ doingin the next year.
A) intendedB) attendedC) extendedD) pretended
17. The housewives who do not go out to work often feel they are not working to their full _____.
A) capacityB) strengthC) lengthD) possibility
18.He has _____ a number of journals this morning for the information he needs badly.
A) looked throughB) looked onC) looked overD) looked at
19.The police had the photograph of the missing girl _____ in order to find her easily.
A) expandedB) amplifiedC) multipliedD) enlarged
20.The river is _____ at the bank.
A) running awayB) eating away C) taking awayD) bringing away
21. She may be _____ if you don’t reply to her soon.
A) injuredB) woundedC) offendedD) offensive
22.The equator is an _____ line.
A) imaginableB) imaginativeC) imaginaryD) imagining
23.Even as a child he showed an inclination to ______ over the other children.
A) dominateB) ruleC) governD) inspect
24. The explorers were _____ straits almost impassable.
A) immune toB) confronted withC) capable ofD) transported
25. We _____ complete equality between men and women.
A) omitB) suggestC) advocateD) agree
26. A drugstore in America _____ not only medicines, but also sweets, drinks and other articles.
A) shavesB) handlesC) polishesD) tosses
27. Judging from the order of importance, thismatter should call for ____ consideration.
A) previous B) priorC) precedingD) prime
28. To have his story published, the young man certainly _____ it for at least three times.
A) contrivesB) friesC) polishesD) advocates
29. Thanks to the progress in medicine, the life _____ of people throughout the world was greatly extended.
A) templeB) spanC) damD) residence
30. More and more _____ home appliances like washing machines and microwave ovens trouble the older generation.
A) guiltyB) instinctiveC) automaticD) offensive