1. It seems that some entertainment stars don’t attach much importance to their public _____.
A) shapeB) imageC) statusD) figure
2. ____ the question of the time given to teaching preparations, there are two other requirements for a qualified teacher.
A)ExceptB)Away fromC) Apart from D) Beside from
3. If it were not for the fact that he was abillionaire, she ____ him.
A)might never marryB) will never marryC) would never have marriedD) would never marry
4. The gloves were really too small, and it was only by _____ them that I managed to get them on.
A) spreadingB) squeezingC) stretchingD) bending
5. You will probably _____ your team’s chance to win because you seem to have such a great ______ them.
A) affect influence B) effect; influence C) affect;effect on D) effect;affect on
6. A bridge can be defined ____ a structuregetting over an obstacle, such as a river, a road or railways.
A) likeB) asC) withD) to
7. When I took my car to the garage, they soon____ what the trouble was.
A) emergedB) realizedC) exploredD) diagnosed
8. What made her heart _____ was the sight of many people begging in the streets.
A) bleedB)bloodC) bleederD) bled
9. Our country has launched a(n) ____ for healthy styles of living.
A) warB) battleC) campaignD) action
10. He departed ____to catch the train onlyto find his ticket was left in home.
A) in hurryB) in hasteC) in a hasteD) with haste
11. The contract will be signed _____ the ceremony.
A) prior toB) by priority ofC) previous ofD) precious to
12. There are some areas which are still densely populated ____ their severe weather conditions.
A) due toB) with regard toC) regardless ofD) but for
13. He’s watching TV? He’s ____to be cleaning his room.
A) knownB) supposedC) regardedD) considered
14. The public has appealed to the governmentto find a ____ to the problem of pollution.
A) resultB) responseC) settlementD) solution
15. It was not until he arrived in class _____ realized he had forgotten his book.
A) when heB) that heC) and heD) he
16. Seeing he was _____ with his luggage, I offered to help him.
A) infectedB) embarrassedC) muggedD) confused
17. So little ____ with each other that theneighbors could not settle their difference.
A) agreed did theyB) did they agreeC) they agreeD) they did agree
18. It is advisable for us to ____a more open policy.
A) adaptB) adjustC) agreeD) adopt
19. There are several ways to _____ this problem.
A) implementB) approachC) thrustD) dispose
20. The conference ____ the possibility of closertrade links between the two countries.
A) exploredB) implementedC) establishedD) constituted
21. ______ with the boy’s true love for her, the girldecided to entrust her life to him.
A) AcquiredB) ImposedC) InfectedD) Diagnosed
22. The runner went fastest in the middle ____of the course.
A) fragmentB) selectionC) boardD) segment
23. The more ____ you feel in yourself, the morechances you will stand to win the game.
A) significanceB) intensityC) fortuneD) confidence
24. Nothing is worse than the ____ betweenwhat is right and what is wrong.
A) connectionB) establishment C) illustrationD) confusion
25. His words might have _____ the lovely lady,but he was never aware of it.
A) cursedB) criticizedC) hurtD) scolded
26. It is unwise of you to ____ to aconclusion before looking into the matter .
A) reachB) arriveC) drawD) leap
27. The ____ to ensure a bright future for myself pushed me to study harder.
A) crisisB) thrustC) pressureD) approach
28. A dutiful official never ____ himself of his responsibility for his work.
A) remindsB) quitsC) disposesD) risks
29. The official ____ his innocence by showing the fact.
A) approachedB) exploredC) establishedD) defined
30. Advertising is distinguished from other forms of communication _____ the advertiser pays for the message to be delivered.
A) whichB) because ofC) in thatD) whereas