1. He is late again today. I'll ____ that he will not be late tomorrow.
A) refer to itB) look to himC) see to itD) turn to it
2. As he had worked in the army as an electrical engineer for many years, he had every ____ for the job.
A) privilegeB) obligationC) qualificationD) quality
3. After the disaster, the truth ____ us that a healthy habit of living can keep one away from some terrible diseases.
A) focused uponB) imposed uponC) dawned uponD) leaned upon
4. After failing the exams three times, Jackrealized that he'd never ____in English.
A) see to itB) attain itC) catch itD) make it
5. Susan has not been officially ____ to Johnson.
A) engagedB) occupiedC) practiced D) undertaken
6. After so many years, he still ____ the hopethat his lost son would return one day.
A) clang toB) clung toC) inclined toD) subjected to
7. The action of cheating in an examination would ____ you ____ severe punishment.
A) cause…toB) subject…toC) turn…toD) take…to
8. This article ____more attention to the problem of cultural interference in foreign language teaching and learning.
A) calls forB) applies forC) cares forD) allows for
9. I don't think that your watch is ____.
A) worthy the price B) worth the price C) worthy to buy D) worth to buy
10. He is ____ a very old man but in fact he is only fifty years old.
A) apparentlyB) evidentlyC) absolutelyD) actually
11. It is not polite to ____ a speaker withfrequent questions.
A) interpretB) interveneC) interruptD) interfere
12. Their daughter often turns a deaf ear to their inquiries, so they sometimes have to ____ answers from her.
A) interruptB) exchangeC) squeezeD) exit
13. His constant failures in love finally threw him off his ____ of mind.
A) moodB) engagementC) sympathyD) balance
14. My camera can be ____ to take pictures in cloudy or sunny conditions.
A) adaptedB) adjustedC) adoptedD) remedied
15.Young children soon ____ words they hear their elders use.
A) put forwardB) pick outC) turn upD) pick up
16. We forgave his bad temper because weknow that his son's illness had put him under great____.
A) upsetB) stressC) crisisD) oppression
17. His political ______ came to an end 20 years ago.
A) occupationB) employmentC) careerD) profession
18. The explorer lost his way so he climbed to the top of the hill to ____himself.
A) spotB) locateC) placeD) situate
19. We could see only the ____ outline of the mountain in the distance.
A) vagueB) darkC) meanD) dim
20. Because the company was doing more business it was necessary to____ the factory.
A) increaseB) extendC) broadenD) grow
21.The university ____ consists of full professors, associate professors and assistant professors.
A) crewB) rankC) circleD) staff
22. Due to the fact that she was naturally shy, she shrank from any ____ social and cultural activities.
A) taking part ofB) study onC) success inD) participation in
23. It was no use trying to discuss business with James, who was well-known for____ everything.
A) coping withB) trifling withC) handing withD) doing well in
24. Jane is scolded by her boss because she leftthe office with the computer ____ yesterday.
A) onB) outC) inD) unclosed
25. In ______ to the government's call, a great number of people from different walks of life went to the frontline to fight the flood.
A) returnB) admissionC) responseD) order
26. I could see nothing ____ of the hall but the moans of pain told therewas someone there.
A) in the dustB) in the duskC) in the lobbyD) in the exit
27. In the eyes of the teachers, the textbooks are far from ____.
A) contentB) consentC) satisfiedD) satisfactory
28. Due to the _______difficulty, he has to do several part-time jobs.
A. economicB. financialC. economicalD. economics
29. The freshmen are very slow to ____ the strict regulations of this college.
A) react toB) relate toC) adapt toD) turn to
30. When reading books about space exploration, I often ____ man's skill and creativeness in putting complex pieces of machinery into space.
A) tremble atB) startle atC) wander atD) amaze at