1. In the wife's eyes, his _____ to their marriagelife is far from perfect.
A) requirementB) commitmentC) participationD) reflection
2. In the event of SARS, some _____ it while others lost their courage to do anything about it.
A) came up toB) lived up toC) faced up toD) caught up to
3. Experts have _____ with some effective measures to prevent the disease from spreading.
A) caught upB) put upC) come upD) kept up
4. If people feel hopeless, they don't bother to _____ the skills they need to succeed.
A) requireB) inquireC) acquireD) enquire
5. As a result of his hard work, he has gained ______ to the Beijing University.
A) admissionB) commitmentC) opportunityD) reward
6. In the advanced course students must take performance tests at monthly ____.
A) gapsB) lengthsC) distancesD) intervals
7. Only when one is______ of one's gettingbehind is one more likely to catch up.
A) criticalB) awareC) visualD) effective
8. He had a ____ look in his eyes. He must have been shocked.
A) emptyB) bareC) blankD) hollow
9. As an ideal _____ to the spread of SARS, this medicine is now in great demand.
A) barrierB) commitmentC) challengeD) access
10. When her business goes wrong, she tendsto _____ for advice.
A) get access toB) come acrossC) reach outD) speak up
11. The most important for us now is to _____what is to be done next.
A) allow ofB) reflect onC) feel likeD) remind of
12. American women were ____ the right to vote until 1920 after many years of hard struggle.
A) ignoredB) refusedC) neglectedD) denied
13. Good habits of living have proved to be ofmuch _____ to our health.
A) barrierB) benefitC) immunityD) commitment
14. The medicine the doctor gave me ____ my headache.
A) reducedB) improvedC) releasedD) relieved
15. As a(n) _____ job, it requires much timeand commitment and persistence.
A) unwillingB) demandingC) embarrassingD) frustrating
16. The _____ to be better than others drives him to work harder than before.
A) uniquenessB) eagernessC) awarenessD) effectiveness
17. While studying he was financially dependent____ his wife.
A) onB) ofC) toD) from
18. Anyone that goes against the social order is _____ to answer for his action.
A) possibleB) probablyC) likelyD) normally
19. There is much that can be done about the accidents _____ from carelessness.
A) aroseB) arisenC) arisingD) arise
20. _____ his sister, Jack is quiet and does noteasily make friends with others.
A) DislikeB) UnlikeC) AlikeD) Liking
21. More new _____ will be opened up in thejob market for those with a good CET6 score report.
A) opportunitiesB) necessitiesC) realitiesD) probabilities
22. Unlike the problems I _____ in high school,I have few chances to speak English in class at college.
A) came acrossB) came aboutC) came afterD) came of
23. Now that they have not done anything ______about the situation, it shows no evidence to return to normal.
A) uniqueB) effectiveC) absoluteD) sequential
24.He ____ the medicine quickly and then drank some orange juice.
A) sucked B) swallowedC) lickedD) digested
25. These products are _____ for export, thougha few of them may come into home markets.
A) completelyB) absolutelyC) essentiallyD) necessarily
26. The team’s attempt to win the game was_____ by the opposing goalkeeper.
A) shockedB) frustratedC) given upD) caught up
27. He is quite sure that it's _____ impossiblefor him to fulfill the task within two days.
A) fullyB) exclusivelyC) absolutelyD) roughly
28. The police wanted her to describe all the events of that morning in _____.
A) timeB) additionC) sequenceD) place
29. Thanks to the Internet, we can share sorrowand happiness at each other's home through the _____ of e-mail.
A) roleB) mediumC) modemD) sequence
30. In their own eyes, it is rather _____ that the medical community as a whole still has little idea about the cause of SARS.
A) rewardingB) demandingC) embarrassingD) requiring