2. Some men seek office, not to be useful to the state and the grassroots, but for the____and fishes.
“Yes, but she doesn’t earn any money.”
4. She has a _____reputation in both jazz and classical music.
5. _________the new fund-raising plan is approved, we will soon have more money to build the gymnasium.
D. Even if
1. 【B】initiate: put (a scheme, etc) into operation; cause (sth) to begin
originate: ~ in sth; ~ from/with sb have sth/sb as a cause or beginning
embark: embark on sth :start or engage in (esp sth new or difficult)
commence: When something commences or you commence it, it begins. (FORMAL)
2. 【C】the loaves and fishes是固定搭配，表示“私利，物质利益，实惠”
3. 【D】resort: ~ to sth make use of sth for help; adopt sth as an expedient
Grant: ~ sth (to sb) give sth formally or legally
Afford: ~ sth (to sb) (fml) provide sth; give sth 供给某事物; 给予某事物
Entitle: ~ sb to sth give sb a right to have or do sth
4. 【D】massive: substantial; very large
Quantitative: Quantitative means relating to different sizes or amounts of things. (FORMAL)
Surplus: more than is needed or used
Formidable: inspiring awe and respect because of excellence and strength; very impressive
5. 【B】given: conj.”如果，假如”，此外还可作为介词，表示“考虑到，鉴于”
Even if: 即使，纵使