1. _________touching in O. Henry’s stories is the gallantry with which ordinary people struggle to maintain their dignity.
A. Most is
B. It mostly is
C. Is it most
D. What is most
2. His eighth book came out earlier this year and was a(n)___best-seller.
3. On his wanderings he’s____Spanish, Italian, French and a smattering of Russian.
A. Woken up
B. Taken to
C. Picked up
D. Come to
4. He was egocentric, a man of ___who expected those around him to serve him.
5. The president of the university, together with the teachers and students, ___attending that important meeting.
1. 【D】本句的主语不完整，只有选项D能与后面的touching in O. Henry’s stories构成名词性从句作主语，其他的均不正确。
2. 【B】swift: quick or rapid; prompt
Instant: coming or happening at once
Timely: occurring at just the right time; opportune
Punctual: happening or doing sth at the agreed or proper time
3. 【C】wake up: 后不接宾语，表示“醒来”
Take up: “逐渐习惯做某事；喜欢做某事”
Pick up: “（通过实践）学会（外语，技术等）”
Come to: “共计，达到”
4. 【C】impatience: annoyance at having to accept delays, other people's weaknesses etc
Incentive: thing that encourages sb to do sth; stimulus
Impulse: sudden urge to act without thinking about the results
Initiative: action taken to resolve a difficulty
5. 【C】主谓一致性。主语后紧跟with, along with, like, besides, as well as, together with, in addition to 等引出的短语时，谓语动词随主语的单复数而定；本句主语是单数，故选is。