glimpse, look, sight, view
His glance silenced the audience, and he began to speak.他环视了一下，听众都不说话了，他便开始讲话。
She caught a glimpse of her friend in the supermarket.她在超级市场里瞥见了她的朋友。
Her intent look showed how much she had missed her sister.她的专心的目光说明她是多么想念她的姐姐。
She has lost sight of her dog.她看不见那条狗了。
The tower commands a good view of the beautiful city.从这个塔上可以清楚地看到这座美丽城市的景色。
huge, enormous, immense, giant, gigantic, vast
They spent a huge amount of money on that villa.他们花巨款买下了那幢别墅。
The dinosaurs were enormous animals which lived on the earth long ago.恐龙是很久以前生存在地球上的巨型动物。
They took giant strides forward.他们大踏步前进。
The economy of the country has taken a gigantic leap forward.这个国家的经济有很大的飞跃。
This book was about the early explorers who got lost in the immense Atlantic.这本书讲的是迷失在浩瀚大西洋中的早期探险家的故事。
The lion used to live in vast areas of Africa.狮子过去生活在非洲广袤的地区。
1. We have ____ the system of exploitation of man by man.?
A. cancelled B. abolished C. refused D. rejected
2. The drugs must ____ in every way to the standards set up by the government.
A. conform B. confirm C. comply D. correspond
3. It is common knowledge that one culture ____ with its social and economic development in the area.
A. connects B. relates C. associates D. correlates
4. It was shameful that the argument ____ a handfight.
A. ended in B. came to
C. ended up D. culminated in
5. The artist and the author both tried to ____ the splendor of the sunset.
A. depict B. narrate C. describe D. tell
6. The river water was ____ from its old course into a new channel where they were building the dam.
A. turned B. switched C. shifted D. diverted
7. He was ____ with the power of acute observation.
A. conferred B. endowed
C. equipped D.bestowed
8. Please ____ me on that subject.
A. enlighten B. acquaint
C. inform D. instruct
9. The security guard ____ two men who were yelling in the courtroom.
A. expelled B. propelled
C. repelled D. dispelled
10. My passport ____ last month, so I will have to get a new one.
A. elapse B. expired C. ended D. terminated
11. Neither of them thought highly of him and they both tried to?______? him in his work.
A. block B. prevent C. hamper D. stop
12. There were a number of tall structures ____ in different colors.
A. enlightened B. brightened
C. burning D. illuminated
13. Montgomery believed in assembling an overwhelming force and then ?______? a crushing blow on his opponent.
A. affiliating B. conflicting C. afflicted D. inflicting
14. The unpleasant taste ____ in his mouth for hours.
A. prolonged B. waited C. lingered D. lengthened
15. The US president ____in the White House during his turn in office.
A. dwells B. settles C. resides D. inhabits
16. Every day, the news, government reports and scientific studies ?______? to the increasing consequences of population change.
A. verify B. testify C. justify D. prove
17. This agreement will ____ the newspapers from government interference.
A. safeguard B. prevent C. guard D. avoid
18. If you don’t complete the work according to the contract, I will ?______? you for damages.
A. accuse B. charge C. sue D. complain
19. The women were able to equal or ____ the men who worked beside them.
A. surpass B. exceed
C. overtake D. lagged
20. Financial worries gradually ____ his healthand he was obliged to
21. It was ____ to predict that the sun will not rise tomorrow.
22. The words were all ____ and well chosen.
23. In Scotland, as in the rest of the United Kingdom, ____schooling begins at age 5 and ends at age 16.
24. Its strange way of making a nest____ this bird from others.
25. If you go to the palace in tennis shoes, they will think you are ?______?.
A.strange B.odd C.peculiar D.eccentric