flaw, defect, fault, mistake, error
I can’t detect any flaw in his ingenious theory.在他的精妙理论中我找不到任何漏洞。
No one is without defects.人无完人。
She always finds fault with me.她总挑我的毛病。
I took her gloves by mistake.我错拿了她的手套。
Every man is liable to err.人人都难免犯错误。
In some countries, there is no freedom of the press.在一些国家里没有新闻自由。
All the prisoners in the concentration camp wanted their liberty.集中营里所有囚犯都想得到自由。
1. John said that he didn’t quite ____and asked me to repeatwhat I had said.
A.snatch up B.summon up C.catch on D.watch out
2. On weekend my grandma usually ____ a glass of wine.
A.subscribes B.engages C.hangs D.indulgesin
3. At the party we found that shy girl ____her mother all the time.
A.depending on B.coinciding on
C.adheringto D.clinging to
4. The schoolmaster ____ the girl’s bravery inhis opening speech.
A.applauded B.enhanced C.elevated D.clapped
5. The Space Age ____in October 1957 when the first artificial satellite was launched by the Soviet Union.
A.initiated B.originated C.embarked D.commenced
6. As you have seen, the value of a nation’s currencyis a____of its economy.
A.response B.revelation C.reaction D.reflection
7. If the world is to remain peaceful the utmost effort must be made by nationsto limit local ____.
A.collisions B.combats C.contradictions D.conflicts
8. Some studies confirmed that this kind of eye disease was ____in tropical countries.
A.perpetual B.prospective C.prevalent D.provocative
9. David likes country life and has decided to ____farming.
A.go in for B.go back on
C.go through with D.go along with.
10. I am afraid that you have to alter your ____ views in light of the tragic news that has just arrived.
A.pessimistic B.indifferent C.distressing D.optimistic
11. Jack was about to announce our plan but I ____.
A.put him through B.turned him out
C.gave him up D.cut him short
12. Many people think of deserts as ____ regions, but numerous speciesof plants and animals have adapted to life there.
A.void B.virgin C.barren D.wretched
13. The politician says he will ____ the welfare of the people.
A.prey on B.take on C.get at D.see to
14. A budget of five dollars a day is totally ____for a trip round Europe.
A.inadequate B.incapable C.incompatible D.invalid
15. If you ____the bottle and cigarettes,you’ll be much healthier.
A.take off B.keep off C.get off D.set off
16. Bill is example of a severely disabled person who has become ____ at many survival skills.
A.proficient B.persistent C.consistent D.sufficient
17. The ties that bind us together in common activity are so ____that they can disapppear at any moment.
A.trivial B.fatal C.tentative D.feeble
18. Diamonds have little ____value and their price depends almost entirely on their scarcity.
A.extinct B.permanent C.surplus D.intrinsic
19. The kitchen was small and ____so that the disabled could reach everything without difficulty.
A.conventional B.compact C.compatible D.concise
20. The original elections were declared ____ by the former military ruler.
A.void B.vulgar C.surplus D.extravagant
21. Some criminals were printing ____dollar bills until they were arrested.
A.decent B.fake C.patent D.suspicious
22. The directions were so ____ that it was impossibleto complete the assignment.
A.ingenious B.ambitious C.notorious D.ambiguous
23. Because a degree from a good university is the means to a better job,education is one of the most____ areas in Japanese life.
24. A terrible traffic accident happened; people were saddened when they watched the ____.
A.panic B.patriotic C.pathetic D.periodic
25. Some people think that a ____translation, or word for word translation, is easier than a free translation.
A.literal B.literary C.liberal D.linear