repair, mend, fix, remedy
He doesn’t know how to repair the error.他不知道怎样弥补这个过失。
It’s never too late to mend.改过不嫌迟。
He tried to fix the leaking tap.他试图修漏水的水龙头。
Your faults of pronunciation can be remedied.你的发音毛病是可以矫正的。
adequate, enough, sufficient
His income is not adequate to his family’s needs.他的收入满足不了家庭需求。
Do we have enough time for a drink?我们有没有足够的时间喝点什么?
The rain is not sufficient to do any harm.这场雨不足为害。
1. Very few scientists ____ completely new answers to the world’s problems.
A. come up with B come out
C. come round D. come up to
2. We are writing to the manager ____ the repairs recently carried out at the above address.
A. with the exception of
B. with the purpose of
C. with reference to
D. with a view to
3. Many of the scientists and engineers are judged ____how great their achievements are.
A. in spite of B. in ways of C. in favor of D. in terms of
4. All individuals are required to ____ to the laws made by their governments.
A. obey B. conform C. concede D. observe
5. The United States is trying to ____ the serious problems created by the energy crisis.
A. put up with B. submit to
C. comply with D. cope with
6. The joys of travel, having long ____ the disabled, are opening up to virtually anyone who has the means.
A. omitted B. missed C. neglected D. discarded
7. Most people who travel in the course of their work are given travelling ____.
A. income B. allowances C. wages D. pay
8. Some people ____ avoid questions of right and wrong or remain neutral about them.
A. violently B. enthusiastically
C. sincerely D. deliberately
9. I was always taught that it was____to interrupt.
A. rude B. coarse C. rough D. crude
10. It is a common theme in many science fiction stories that the world may one day be ____ by insects.
A. broken in B. run over C. taken over D. filled in
11. His intelligence and experience will enable him to ____the complicated situation.
A. cope with B. settle down
C. intervene in D. interfere with
12. I am sure I can ____ him into letting us stay in the hotel for the night.
A. speak B. say C. talk D. tell
13. There is no easy solution to Japan’s labor ____.
A. decline B. vacancy C. rarity D. shortage
14. Just as a book is often judged ____ by the quality and appearance of its cover, a person is judged immediately by his appearance.
A. previously B. uniquely C. outwardly D. initially
15. Frankly speaking, your article is very goodexcept for some ____ mistakes in grammar.
A. trivial B. obscure C. rare D. glaring
16. Advanced computer technology has ____ an answer to accurate weather forecasting.
A. set up B. come up with
C. filled in D. faced up to
17. Both parties promised to ____ the contract to besigned the following day.
A. keep with B. tangle with C. adhere to D. devote to
18. The fire has caused great losses, but the factory tried to ____the consequences by saying that the damage was not as serious as reported.
A. decrease B. subtract C. minimize D. degrade
19. Every society has its own peculiar customs and____of acting.
A. ways B. behavior C. attitudes D. means
20. All the parts of these washing machines are ____, so that it is very convenient to replace them.
A. normalized B. modernized
C. mechanized D. standardized
21. There was once an ____ idea that the earth was flat and motionless.
A. eternal B. offensive C. absurd D. intrinsic
22. When they had finished playing, the children were made to ____all the toys they had taken out.
A. put off B. put out C. put up D. put away
23. A complete investigation into the cause of the accident should lead to improved standards and should ____ new operating procedures.
A. result in B. match with
C. subject to D. proceed with
24. The fuel of the continental missile is supposed to be ____by this device.
A. lighted B. inspired C. fired D. ignited
25. Stop shouting! I can’t hear the football ____.
A. explanation B. interpretation
C. judgement D. commentary