complete, entire, total, whole
They own a house complete with furniture.他们拥有一幢家具齐全的房子。
The Complete Works of Tolstoy is on the shelf.《托尔斯泰全集》在书架上。
It took us an entire week to finish the work.完成这项工作花费我们整整一周时间。
He was in entire ignorance of the matter.他对这件事一无所知。
What is the total cost of the new furniture?新家具总共花了多少钱？
The new manager has a total control of the business.新任经理完全掌握公司的控制权。
The different parts were joined to form a whole group.不同的部分连接起来形成一个整体。
The whole book is on how to appreciate poetry.整个书都是关于诗歌欣赏的。
The Chinese government protested strongly against such barbarous aggression.中国政府强烈抗议这种野蛮的侵略行为。
The illegal search was an invasion of their civil liberties.那次非法搜查是对他们公民自由权的侵犯。
1. The manager promised to have my complaint ____.
A. looked through B. looked into
C. looked over D. looked after
2. We regret to inform you that the materials you ordered are____.
A. out of work B. out of reach
C.out of stock D.out of practice
3. Some areas, ____their severeweather conditions,are hardly populated.
A.due to B.in spite of
C.but for D.withregard to
4. His tastes and habits ____ with those of his wife.
A.combine B.compete C.coincide D.compromise
5. The criminal always paid ____ cash so the police could not track him down.
A. on B.by C.for D.in
6. Being somewhat short?sighted, she had the habit of____atpeople.
A.glancing B.peering C.gazing D.scanning
7. When he appliedfor a ____in the office of the local newspapers he was told to see the manager.
A.location B.profession C.career D.position
8. The ____ runner can run 2 miles in fifteen minutes.
A.common B.usual C.average D.general
9. The travellers ____their journey after a short break.
A.recovered B.resumed C.renewed D.restored
10. My friend does one thing one day and just the ____the next.His behaviour is inconsistent.
A.other B.alternative C.negative D.opposite
11. The terrorists might have planted a bomb on the plane inAthens, set to ____ when it arrived in New York.
A. get off B. carry off C. go off D. come off
12. Attempts to persuade her to stay after she felt insulted were ?______?.
A. of no avail B. on the contrary
C. at a loss D. in no way
13. Have you anything to say ____the proposal?
A. with regard to B. in contrast to
C. on behalf of D. for the purpose of
14. The prisoner has been ____ of many previleges that average citizens enjoy.
A. ensured B. informed C. deprived D. convinced
15. It has been estimated that the earth’s surface temperature has increased ____ one quarter to three quarters of a degree since 1850.
A. to B. by C. at D. with
16. He was ____ to steal the money when he saw it lying on the table.
A. dragged B. tempted C. elicited D. attracted
17. Dogs are often praised for their ____; they almost never abandon their masters.
A. faith B. loyalty
C. trust D. truthfulness
18. As an excellent shooter， Peter practised aiming at both ____targets and moving targets.
A. standing B. stationary C. still D. stable
19. If each manager makes his usual speech, the meaning will be ____ for forty?five minutes.
A. expanded B. prolonged C. delayed D. exceeded
20. Small boys are ____ questioners. They ask questions all the time.
A. original B. imaginative C. peculiar D. persistent
21. There are nations whose lack of contact with the outside world has ____ poverty.
A. fallen into B. consisted in
C. resulted in D. come up to
22. When a psychologist does a general experiment about the human mind, he selects people ____ and ask them questions.
A. at length B. at random C. in essence D. in bulk
23. The goal is to make higher education available to everyone who is willing and capable ____ his financial situation.
A. with respect to B. in accord with
C. regardless of D. in terms of
24. To call the music of another music?culture “primitive” is ____ one’s own standards on a group that does not recognize them.
A.putting B. emphasizing C. forcing D. imposing
25. This is the first draft of the book.Please feel perfectly free to ____ it.
A. cope with B. comment on C. complain D. confirm