prohibit, forbid, ban
意为“(通过法律、法令、公告、严正警告)禁止某些事情”，该词应用范围比其他两个词广，其常用结构为prohibit sb. from doing sth.。
意为“禁止”，是这三个词中最普通的词。如果我们指一般意义上的“禁止某人做某事”，就要用forbid sb. to do sth.。
The law prohibits tobacconists from selling cigarettes to children.法律禁止烟草商卖给儿童香烟。
She had been strictly forbidden to drink beer.严禁她喝啤酒。
Bicycles are banned from the new motorway.自行车禁止通行于新建的快车道。
foretell, foresee, forecast, predict
The Gypsy foretold that the boy would become a king.那个吉普赛人预言这个男孩将会成为国王。
The difficulties could not have been foreseen.这些困难是无法预料的。
Who can forecast what the outcome of election will be?谁能预测出选举结果?
Economists are predicting a fall in interest rate.经济专家预言利率会下降。
1. As, after his death, he defeated the forces of injustice, ____the position in art that had been kept from him during his life.
A. so did he gain B. so he gained
C. and he gained D. and gained
2. He thought he had lost his ____ for good. However, he found his pillow already taken by the dog when he entered the room.
A. beautiful yellow little dog
B. yellow beautiful little dog
C. little yellow beautiful dog
D. beautiful little yellow dog
3. In 1900, the place where he had been buried was finally discovered, marked only by ____, with even a simple stone.
A. the 61 number B. the number 61st
C. the number 61 D. a 61-number
4. More than a yearlater he arrived back in America ____.
A. ill, tired and unhappy
B. with ill, tired and unhappy
C. felt ill, tired and unhappy
D. he felt ill, tired and unhappy
5. She possessed a quick mind, a sharp tongue and ____a strong will.
A. above all B. first of all C. most of all D. moreover
6. “You know so much about literature. It’s a pity you failed your degree,” Harry said, “You ____ a good teacher.”
A. would have been B. can have been
C. must be D. should have been
7. ____ scientists thought the Red Planet was as lifeless as the Moon with dust swirling over vast sandy deserts.
A. To begin with B. Beginning with
C. It was begun with D. While beginning with
8. The girl always says to her boyfriend, “I do wish you____so much.”
A. haven’t smoked B. aren’t smoking
C. didn’t smoke D. don’t smoke
9. Since 1970, millions of enthusiasts ____ a substance which they believe can remedy the common cold — Vitamin C.
A. have taken B. have been taking
C. have been taken D. have being taken
10.____ can make an immense contribution to the creation of peace and plenty in the world by taking care to understand other nations.
A. I and you and all the ordinary people
B. You and I and all the ordinary people
C. You and all the ordinary people and me
D. All the ordinary people and you and me
11. If you start as a junior bank clerk, you will have ____responsibilities connected with the handling of cheques.
A.minor B. less C. small D. little
12. The city postman has to go on foot, not only along streets, but also up and down stairs , as many ____ offlats have no lifts and no downstairs letter boxes.
A. flights B. rows C. blocks D. storeys
13. My father was a dentist in the little town all his life,and it was always taken for granted that I would take over his ____ when he retired.
A. practice B. job C. work D. post
14. The same can be said of factory farms, where animals are kept under very ____ conditions.
A. similar B. likely C. close D. like
15. There is so much terrorism that people are crying out and asking for more law and ____.
A. security B. order C. safety D. protection
16. Color?blind people have difficulty ____ between blue and green.
A. separating B. comparing
C. contrasting D. distinguishing
17. He felt ____ as soon as he realized that he has asked a foolish question.
A. bored B. embarrassed
C. displeased D.disappointed
18. The city was ____ to me, and I did not know where to go.
A. strange B. odd C. unique D. curious
19. I’m in no ____ this evening to listen to his silly jokes.
A. feeling B. emotion C. mood D. tendency
20. The first,second and third prizes went to Bob,Jack and Henry ____.
A. differently B. separately C. respectively D.equally
21. These goods do not come up to the ____.
A. mark B. sign C. token D. signal
22. We express our thoughts by ____ of words.
A. method B. way C. manner D. means
23. I hope you will be ____ in future about the things you say.
A. careful B. attentive C. cautious D. precautious
24. Think carefully before you answer his questions. You may be ____ into giving away vital information.
A. caught B. captured C. seized D. trapped
25. When operating a machine, we must use ____.
A. warning B. caution C. advice D. counsel