roughly, approximately, about, around
作“大约”讲，可与approximately互相使用，但它不如前者那样强调对精确度的接近，但它后面的数或量都是明确的，没有“多少不定”的意思，如，不可说“about more than two”。
Roughly speaking, I think we are heading for the depression.大体说来，我认为我们正走向萧条。
It was approximately 100°F in the shade.在荫凉处温度约为华氏100度。
There are about 60 people in the room.这房间里大约有60个人。
He went to bed around midnight.他大约半夜才去睡觉。
The accumulated evidence isn’t enough to ensure his conviction.已收集到的证据还不足以给他定罪。My savings are accumulating interest.我的储蓄不断生息。
Fat will be accumulated in your body if you stop doing sports.如果你停止运动，脂肪就会积聚于体内。
A speculator may try to amass great wealth.投机商会想方设法积聚钱财。
assemble, collect, gather
Assemble your papers and put them in this file.把你的论文收集起来，放在这个文件夹里。
You must gather the students to your side.你必须把学生团结到你这一边来。
People gathered in crowds on the street waiting for the news of victory.人们成群结队地聚集在街上，等待着胜利的消息。
My son likes collecting stamps.我儿子喜欢集邮。
1. Only in the dream world ____ moments of desolation or terror that are worse than anything we have known under the sun.
A. there is B. there are C. is there D. are there
2. Would you please ____ spoil any material?
A. not B. not to C. to not D. don’t
3. ____ in physical shape, he dropped out of the University of Syracuse.
A. As he was bad B. Bad as he was
C. Bad although he was D. Bad though he was
4. I hope you don’t mind me ____ you sir, but is there much money involved in the will?
A. asking B. to ask C. ask D. that I ask
5. The reason Beethoven went away to the country is ____.
A. that he was gradually going deaf
B. because he was gradually going deaf
C. on account of the fact that he was gradually going deaf
D. since he was gradually going deaf
6. “I often feel a sudden fast heart beat when I’m idle.”“You should stop your exercising and need ____”
A.to check your heart
B. to have your heart checked
C. to have checked your heart
D. to be checked your heart
7. When I finish the story, Lenin jumped up from his chair and started pacing the floor, ____, deep in thought.
A. with his head bending B. in his head bent
C. his head bending D. his head bent
8. But what ____ to define his personality is a driven concentration on his work, compulsive attention to every aspect of creating musicals.
A. seems most B. is mostly
C. is most D. seems mostly
9. Switzerland is ____ a place to indulge in all your favorite winter sports; it’s also a marvellous spot to relax.
A. rather than B. more than
C. else than D. other than
10. I am lucky ____ the thing I enjoy doing most is ____ I’ve ended up doing.
A. when... that B. if...what
C. that... what D. that...that
11. Please ____ your voice if you have any questions to ask the chairman.
A. rise B. raise C. lift D. enlarge
12. Owen obviously had no ____ of doing any work that day, although it was only a week before the English Test.
A. ambition B. desire C. intention D. wish
13. The National Gallery in London has more visitors than ____any other because of its free admission.
A. practically B. really C. actually D. completely
14. On that bitterly cold winter night , few people walked along the ?______? narrow streets.
A. lonely B. neglected C. deserted D. isolated
15. If you keep gettingwrong numbers, your phone could be ____.
A. defective B. ineffective C. deficient D. deceptive
16. Mr.Johnson had a terrible cold and could not stop ____.
A. yawning B. sighing C. sneezing D. spitting
17. The chairman asked the members to ____ their votes for or against the proposal.
A. cast B. throw C. bid D. offer
18. She was barred from the golf club for refusing to ____with the request.
A. conform B. adhere C. abide D. comply
19. She always ____ the smell of fresh bread with her aunt, who loved baking.
A. associated B. connected C. attributed D. contributed
20. Even when the strike was over, and the wages dispute had been ?______? , it took several weeks for the country to get cleaned up completely.
A. settled B. evened C. calmed D. relieved
21. She was paid by the hour, and she managed to keep her family with herpitiful____.
A. salary B. wages C. stipend D. payment
22. A plane is a ____ and so is a car.
A. transport B. drive C. vehicle D. carriage
23. Tony was in plain clothes, watching for a ____ character at London Airport all night.
A. suspicious B. suspect C. susceptible D. doubtful
24. At first she thought he was joking. It took Jason twenty minutes to convince her that he was ____.
A. earnest B. real C. genuine D. serious
25. You may even become a head waiter eventually. If you have the rightsortof ____ and are not afraid of hard work.
A. nature B. personality C. temper D. character