refuse, reject, decline, deny, repel
deny常常作“否认，否定”讲，其后可接名词、代词、动名词或that?从句。另外，deny也可作“拒绝给予”讲，这时多接双宾语，即用在deny sb. sth.结构中，并且可以与refuse互换，不过语气要比refuse更坚决。
It is the stupid who refuse to be taught by mistake.只有蠢人才拒绝从错误中吸取教训。
The patient’s body rejected the heart transplant.病人的身体对心脏移植有排斥反应。
She declined to have lunch with us, saying that she ?wasn’t? feeling well.她说身体不适而婉言谢绝与我们共进午餐。
He doesn’t dare to deny the charges, does he?他不敢否认这些指控。
Fire repels wild animals.火使野兽不敢靠近。
1. He kept asking questions, but not a word ____.
A. could we understand B. we could understand
C. we understand could D. understand could we
2. Milk is sold ____ bottle nearly everywhere in China.
A. by the B. with a C. in a D. in the
3. I ____ to go to London today, but when the fortune teller warned me not to travel, I postponed the trip.
A. had intended B. was intending
C. would intend D. was intended
4. He has no alternative but ____ and ask his brother for assistance.
A. to go B. go C. going D. will go
5. Even when stranded in an isolated village by snow, ____.
A. it seemed my journey was still exciting
B. my journey still seemed exciting
C. I still thought my journey exciting
D. my journey was still thought to be exciting
6. “Let’s go, Tom. It’s time we ____”“All right, Mary. I’ll finish itin a few seconds.”
A. play baseball B. played baseball
C. will play baseball D. are playing baseball
7. After a while, he left Newton’s to start ____ his own as an illustrator.
A. for B. with C. as D. on
8. No sooner ____ than the parrot flew out and settled in the same tree as the cat.
A. had Mary opened the cage
B. Mary opened the cagethat
C. did Mary open the cage
D. Mary opened the cage when
9. ____, you would have seen my nephew， a very outs tanding and promising boy.
A.Had you arrived earlier B. I you arrived earlier
C. Did you arrive earlier D. Unless you had arrived earlier
10. ____ told by the doctor to stop smoking, Mr. Smith carried neither matches nor cigarettes.
A. Had been B. Have been C. Having been D. Has been
11. When you take medicine, be careful not to ____ that amount printed on the bottle.
A. exceed B. substitute C. exert D. surpass
12. The football match was televised ____ from the worker’s stadium.
A. alive B. alike C. lively D. live
13. Use your library to learn which animals ____ the desert.
A. live B. occupy C. inhabit D. settle
14. The important statement was soon ____ all over the world by radio.
A. brought B. carried C. taken D. transformed
15. Our next?door neighbors have ____us to have the same kind of carpeting as they have.
A. persuaded B. insisted C. convinced D. suggested
16. Although it was ____ jewellery, it looked real enough.
A. untrue B. imitation C. invented D. false
17. The plate glass must be capable of ____ very high temperature.
A. sustaining B. retaining C. obtaining D. maintaining
18. The upset woman gave an ____ of the killer’s second attack.
A. illustration B. account C. analysis D. explanation
19. Dr. Jones checked the patient’s ____ carefully before making his treatment.
A. symbols B. symptoms C. signs D. conditions
20. In order to buy the house she had to obtain a ____ from the bank.
A. deposit B. capital C. debt D. loan
21. The company is looking for a new ____ for another branch office.
A. position B. post C. point D. site
22. The old family ____ in China has undergone some change since liberation.
A. pattern B. shape C. form D. institution
23. “I have to go to see my doctor this afternoon.”
“Would you like me to ____ with you?”
A. send B. escort C. accompany D. campaign
24. Knowing that more teachers will come to visit her class ____ her on.
A. spurred B. promoted C. thrilled D. excited
25. The Olympic Games winners received a gold medal as a(n) ____.
A. reward B. praise C. award D. gift
2012-05-14 07:14 编辑：wjy2005tom