embarrass, puzzle, perplex, confuse, bewilder
It embarrasses me even to think about my foolish behavior.哪怕是想一想我愚蠢的行为，我都感到困窘不安。
Her illness has puzzled all the doctors.她的病把所有的医生都难住了。
I have been puzzling my brains about this question for weeks now.对这个问题我已经苦苦思索了几个星期了。
His strange behavior had greatly perplexed her.他奇怪的行为使她大为困惑。
We were perplexed to learn of your decision.我们听说了你们的决定，感到困惑不解。
They asked so many questions that they confused me(that I got confused).他们问了我很多问题，把我都给弄糊涂了。
Don’t confuse Austria with (and) Australia.不要把奥地利与澳大利亚弄混了。
She was bewildered to find them gone.发现他们已经离去，她愣住了。
1. You ____ whereyou leave your things.
A. always forgets B. arealways forgetting
C. have always forgotten D.will always forget
2. He is ____ boy to do such a thing.
A. such an honest B. toohonest
C. too honest a D. so honesta
3. There are several pretty girls standing under the tree, but ____ are knownto me.
A. neither B. none C. no one D. all
4. It is because he is not proud of his learning____ he is respected by hisstudents.
A. that B. which C. what D. that which
5. “I hope the children won’t go near the water.”“I warned them ?______?.”
A. not B. not to C. not go D. won’t
6. When he came back he was not ____ we had known twenty years before.
A. John B. a John C. the John D. the Johns
7. The physician considers going to bed early to be more sensible ?______?.
A. but staying up late B. thanto stay up late
C. than staying up lately D.than staying up late
8. The two children ____ towards the sea at about 11 o’clock.
A. were seen running B. wereseen run
C. saw runniing D. havebeen seen running
9. ____ is his own decision.
A. When leaving B. When doeshe leave
C. When he leaves D. Heleaves
10. In one year rats eat 40 to 50 times ____ weight.
A. its B. and C. their D. of
11. The line of trees shut the house from ____.
A. sight B. view C. eyes D. scene
12. Get a shirt one size larger than you usually wear, because this material____ when you wash it.
A. fades B. recedes C. shrinks D. decreases
13. Though the long term ____ cannot be predicted, the project has beenapproved by the committee.
A. affect B. effort C. effect D. affliction
14. Gasoline is processed from ____ oil.
A. raw B. crude C. rough D. tough
15. If you put too many pears in that paper bag, it will ____.
A. burst B. explode C. crack D. expand
16. Having said he would mend the clock, he discovered that he had not broughtthe right ____ for the job.
A. tools B. instruments C. apparatus D. equipment
17. This dress material will ____ repeated washings.
A. wrench B. violate C. withstand D. endure
18. Soy protein can serve as a nutritious ____ for meat.
A. replacement B. supplement
C. compound D. complement
19. It would be far better if collectors could be persuaded to spend their timeand money in support of____ archaeological research.
A. literal B. legitimate C. legislative D. illicit
20. One of the effects of acid rain is that it causes plants to ____.
A. contract B. shrink C. thrive D. wither
21. New products are sometimes given away in small quantities called ?______?.
A. examples B. samples C. patterns D. proofs
22. They sold their house for only $12,000, so the buyer got a good ?______?.
A. trade B. business C. deal D. bargain
23. If you want to see the bus schedule, please ____ at the office.
A. require B. inquire C. request D. acquire
24. The ship’s captain and members of the ____ welcomed us on board.
A. crew B. staff C. team D. group
25. When Nancy paid the bill, she was given a ____ for her money.
A. ticket B. cheque C. tip D. receipt