choose, select, pick out
select和pickout 而select和pick out通常指在三者或三者以上中作出选择。
select比 pick out 更为正式，select通常指经过慎重考虑而作出的选择select和choose有时可以通用，主要不同在于：choose往往指以个人的好恶或对个人是否合适为标准来“选择”，而select则更加强调被“选择”的事物在客观上的优劣。
The samples are for you to choose from.这些样品供你挑选。
Most of the delegates to the conference are selected from model workers.出席大会的大多数人是从工人模范中挑选出来的。
The couples decide to choose gardening as their profession.这对夫妇决定选择园艺作为他们的职业。
Mary spent three hours picking out a red skirt at the store.玛丽花了三个小时在店里挑了一条红裙子。
1. The committee members resented ____ themof the meeting.
A. the president that he did no tell
B. the president not to inform
C. the president’s not informing
D. the president that he failed informing
2. Nancy hasn’t begun working on her Ph. D. ____ working on her master’s.
A. still because she is yet
B. yet as a result she is still
C. yet because she is still
D. still while she is already
3. The ____ capacity of the stadium has been enlarged.
A. sitting B. seat C. seated D. seating
4. Mr. Cooper gave his money to those whom he considered ____.
A. as most worthy B. as being most worthy
C. was most worthy D. most worthy
5. Coal, though ____ than either oil or gas, is still a finite resource.
A. much energy more abundant source
B. the much more energy abundant source
C. a much more abundant energy source
D. energy source more abundant
6. The fuzzy, overstuffed quality of nineteenth?century prose resulted from using ten words ____ one wouldhave sufficed.
A. where B. which C. that D. what
7. I didn’t go to the party last night, because ____, I changed my mind.
A. on a second thought B. by second thoughts
C. on second thoughts D. on the second thought
8. I’d get it for you ____ I could remember who last borrowed it.
A. except that B. if only
C. on condition that D. considering whether
9. In 1890 there were many American cities and towns where part of a day’s school instruction was conducted in languages ____ English.
A. more than B. except C. other than D. except for
10. The student was delighted to be offered a summer job ____.
A. that rewarded two dollars hourly
B. that paid two dollars an hour
C. with two?dollar pay in an hour
D. with a pay of two?dollar per hour
11. The news you told me the other day has to be ____.
A. conformed B. confirmed C. informed D. affirmed
12. Quite a few people watch TV only to ____ time.
A. spare B. spend C. waste D. pass
13. She has only a two?week vacation during the year ____ that other workers get more time off.
A. in spite of B. besides
C. despite D. despite the fact
14. Some hard plastics can be ____ metals in manufacturing machine parts.
A. substituted for B. taken the place of
C. replaced in D. given way to
15. I noticed the meals were well ____ what was charged for him.
A. worthwhile B. worthy of C. worthy D. worth
16. He broke the world ____ for the 200?meter race.
A. grade B. level C. standard D. record
17. The accident did very little ____ to either car.
A. destruction B. ruin C. damage D. disaster
18. He rescued the child at the ____ of his own life.
A. danger B. risk C. hazard D. edge
19. The children performed a very ____ dance for their parents.
A. gracious B. smart C. graceful D. precise
20. People improperly dressed will not be ____ to this hotel.
A. accepted B. admitted C. permitted D. allowed
21. My father was ____ by the neighbors that we were in great danger.
A. warned B. charged C. accused D. blamed
22. Jones and Edwards are, ____, the producer and director of the movie.
A. responsively B. respectfully
C. respectively D. respectably
23. Peter was ____ to Ted for not having attended the party.
A. excusing B. punishing C. apologizing D. pardoning
24. I cannot read your writing. It is ____.
A. illegible B. legible C. eligible D. ineligible
25. I’ll try as hard as I can but I don’t think I have much ____ of winning the game.
A. luck B. opportunity C. chance D. fortune
2012-05-12 08:06 编辑：wjy2005tom