energy, force, power, strength, vigor, might
The work took me a lot of energy.这工作花费了我很多精力。
The old man pulled the wagon with all his force.老人用尽全力拉货车。
The man has strong desire for power.这人渴望拥有权力。
These two boys are equal in strength.这两个男孩力气相等。
It is patriotism that gives the vigor of her writings.是爱国主义精神使她的作品充满生命力。
She worked with all her might.她竭尽全力地工作。
The fire roused the people from their sleep.大火把人们从睡梦中惊醒。
We must arouse them to fight for their own emancipation.我们必须唤醒他们起来为自己的解放而斗争.
1. He told me only part of the story ____.
A. so that was it B. so that was this
C. and that was so D. and that was that
2. ____ increases every year as natural habitats disappear.
A. The amount ofendangered species
B. The quantity of endangering species
C. The number of endangered species
D. The majority of endangering species
3. Prices reach an equilibrium at the level at which quantity demanded ____ quantity supplied.
A. is equal to B. equal C. equals to D. is equal
4. The tenant must be prepared to decorate the property ____ the terms of the agreement.
A. with regard to B. in relation to
C. in accordance with D. providedby
5. Mr. Johnson is ____ to our party.
A. more than pleased to come
B. pleased more than to come
C. more pleased than to come
D. more pleasing than to come
6. She intends to move that the committee ____ discussion on this issue.
A. suspends B. suspend C. will suspend D. suspended
7. It has been suggested that people who watch television incessantly ____ overly passive.
A. become B. may become
C. should become D. became
8. He will remain here if ____.
A. needed B. need to be C. need be D. need is
9. The publishers will send you a specimen copy of their new books ?______?.
A. when it will be requested B. when they are requested it
C. when it is requested D. when requested
10. The most useful way of looking at a map is not as a piece of paper, but as a record of ____ .
A. organized geographical information
B. geographical organized information
C. geographically organized information
D. organizing information geographically
11. As Mr. Best was passing the bookstore, he thought he’d just ____ to see whether any interesting books were on sale.
A. look through B. look in C. look up D. look for
12. Margie’s bedroom was in a ____, with books and papers covering every possible surface.
A. litter B. disorder C. rubbish D. mess
13. Burton said he could not swim until the____ came in because the sea was too far out.
A. current B. tide C. flood D. wave
14. They decided to ____ their original plans for the house and make it smaller.
A. scale down B. look down upon
C. break down D. keep down
15. It is not uncommon to ____ large numbers of automobiles in the streets of cities like London, Paris and New York.
A. entail B. enclose C. encounter D. endure
16. The oxygen equipment made it possible for the climbers to rest and sleep at very high ____?.
A.latitude B. altitude C. level D. hemisphere
17. ____ scientists say the earth will heat up like a pot of flowers in a greenhouse.
A. In the first place B. At any rate
C. As a matter of fact D. As a result
18. Prizes are open to all, ____ nationality, race, or ideology.
A. for the sake of B. regardless of
C. at the cost of D. because of
19. The church is ____ on the hillside, about a mile from the town.
A. situated B. lied C. stationed D. placed
20. Because some teachers believe that memorization and learning are ?______?, they may tell you that you shouldn’t memorize material; rather, you should understand it.
A. relevant B. compatible
C. incompatible D. incomplete
21. In technology, progress is the standard. In social ____, continuity is the standard, and when change occurs, it is seen as decline rather than advance.
A. institutions B. commitments
C. limitations D. regulations
22. The job candidates’ main ____ was that he’d never held a job for more than eight months.
A. illusion B. indignation C. endurance D. liability
23. A(n) ____ job is one that is long and boring.
A. dull B. tedious C. uninteresting D. monotonous
24. The situation there ____ that I should be careful and patient.
A. demands B. requires C. hopes D. wishes
25. World War I marked the beginning of this general ____ofcapitalism.
A. crisis B. emergency C. symbol D. tendency