recall, remember, remind, recollect
表示“使…想起”，指人受到一定媒介的启发或提醒而慢慢地唤起对往事的记忆，常用在remind sb. of sth.的结构中。
I can’t recall having met him before.我记不起以前曾见到过他。
I suddenly remembered I had left the book in the library.我突然想起我把书忘在图书馆了。
Your telling me that story reminds me of another.你给我讲的故事使我想起了另一个故事。
She thought back and tried to recollect the exact wording of the letter.她回忆着，试图回想起那封信的准确字眼。
shift, move, remove, transfer
It’s no use trying to shift the blame to anybody else.想把过错推到别人身上是没用的。
Please help me move the desk to the corner.请帮我把桌子搬到墙角。
The obstacle has been removed; the two countries continued their dialogue.障碍已经排除，两国又继续对话。
The head office of the company has been transferred to New York.该公司总部已迁至纽约。
1. It wasn’t sucha good dinner ____ she had promised us.
A. that B. which C. as D.what
2. ____ can we yield to the pressure.
A. By and large B. By means of
C. By no means D. In return
3. By the time we reach an agreement, the approvals ____.
A. will be got B. have been got
C. shall have been got D. are got
4. The World Trade Center, the top ____ is 410 meters high, is the tallest building in the world.
A. of which B. which C. of whose D. that
5. Doctor Godwin says that ____ what forceful arguments against smoking there are, many people persist in smoking.
A. though B. however C. no matter D. but
6. ____ many times, this radio receiver is found very sensitive.
A. Being tested B. Having been tested
C. Having tested D. Testing
7. If traffic problems are not solved soon, driving in cities ____ impossible.
A. becomes B. will have become
C. will become D. become
8. On this busy road drivers ought to be especially careful, ____ ?
A. ought it B. oughtn’t they
C. oughtn’t it D. don’t they
9. Only when the war was over in 1945 ____ to his hometown.
A. did he return B. he did return
C. he returned D. had he returned
10. ____ his eyes when she told him that it was time for them to leave.
A. Hardly had he opened B. Scarcely did he open
C. No sooner did he open D. He had no sooner opened
11. She has____ as a singer; she’s worth training.
A. abilities B. capabilities
C. talents D. capacities
12. The atomic clock is ____ to within 3 seconds in a century.
A. exact B. clear C. accurate D. explicit
13. That consciousness is being transformed into ____.
A. action B. act C. deed D. activity
14. To stress the importance of a rich vocabulary, the teacher used a(n) ____.“Writing with a severely limited vocabulary”, she said, “is like trying to paint a circus with only a few colors.”
A. example B. comparison C. contrast D. analogy
15. When my father listens to classical music on the radio, he often swings his arms as if he’s ____ the orchestra.
A. leading B. controlling
C. conducting D. practising
16. The disappearance of that money from my wallet is quite ____. I’m sure the wallet was in my pocket all day.
A. dramatic B. doubtful C. mysterious D. dangerous
17. A completely new situation is likely to ____ when the school leaving age is raised to 16.
A. rise B. raise C. arise D. arouse
18. The campers ____ their tent in a sheltered valley.
A. established B. placed C. fixed D. built
19. An almost ____ line of traffic was moving at a snail’s pace through the center city.
A. continuous B. constant C. long D. continual
20. On entering another country, a tourist will have to ____ the customs.
A. pass through B. pass by C.pass over D. pass away
21. Experiments enable young scientists to judge what must be accepted and what must be viewed with ____.
A. belief B. curiosity C. suspicion D. doubt
22. The city has decided to ____ overhead wires.
A. do off B. do with
C. do away with D. do away
23. George ____ tears when he heard the sad news.
A. broke through B. broke up
C. broke into D. broke out
24. As the airliner began to take off, Jane , together withher boyfriend ____, took a last look at their parents who had come to see them off.
A. on board B. at most C. on schedule D. at random
25. She’s ____ as a very promising young singer.
A. looked on B. looked for C. looked over D. looked up