range, reach, scope, compass, scale
The bird now came within my range of vision.那只小鸟飞入了我的视野。
Keep the pills out of the reach of the children!把药放到孩子们够不到的地方!
Is Romanticism in the scope of your book?你的书涉及到浪漫主义吗？
Construction is not within the compass of the department.工程建设不属这个部门管辖。
This thermometer has two scales marked on it, one in Fahrenheit and the other in Centigrade.温度计上有两种刻度，一种是华氏，另一种是摄氏。
The panda is one of the rare animals in the world.熊猫是世界上稀有动物之一。
Water is scarce in Sahara.撒哈拉沙漠上缺水。
1. ____ plastics, the machine is light in weight.
A. To make of B. To be made of
C. Having made of D. Made of
2. “____ all three people in the car injured in the accident?”
“No,____ only the two passengers who got hurt.”
A. Were/it was B. Are/there is
C. Were/it were D. Was/there was
3. ____ is to be in the flowing “river” of bears.
A. Stand on the tip of the cape
B. To stand on the tip of the cape
C. Standing on the tip of the cape
D. Being standing on the tip of the cape
4. The speech which he made ____ the football match bored a lot of fans to death.
A. being concerned B.be concerned
C. concerned D. concerning
5.____ in an atmosphere of simple living was what his parents wished for.
A. He was educated B. He educated
C. His being educated D. He to be educated
6. No sooner ____ than he realized that he should have remained silent.
A. the words had spoken B. had the words spoken
C. the words had been spoken D. had the words been spoken
7. He went out of the General Manager’s office, looking as if he ____.
A. has been severely punished
B. were severely punished
C. was severely punished
D. had been severely punished
8. The factory manager and secretary ____ our party.
A. is to attend B. are to attend
C. were to attend D. is attended
9. This project is known to ____ for three months.
A. having been going on B. go on
C. have been going on D. be going on
10. ____ the car accident, they would have arrived earlier.
A. Except for B. But for C. Besides D. Save for
11. Jane is slow but her brother, on the contrary, is quick at ____ the point of an argument.
A. grabbing B. grasping C. capturing D. snatching
12. In an attempt to get to the ____ of the problem, the reporter interviewed every eyewitness.
A. root B. stem C. center D. base
13. The tourists ____ through the fog, trying to read what was engraved on the gravestone Shakespeare had chosen for himself.
A. peered B. peeped C. glanced D. glimpsed
14. The noise was so faint that you had to ____ your ears to hear it.
A. stir B. strengthen C. strain D. stride
15. Because of the severe drought, the government has urged people to be ____ with water.
A. economic B. thrifty C. cautious D. economical
16. They came to inspect the house ____ buying it.
A. in the event of B. with a view to
C. with reference to D. on account of
17. If a child is brought up in isolation away from human beings, he does not ____ language.
A. inquire B. require C. acquire D. request
18. The use of sound is widespread as ____ of animal communication.
A. a means B. ways C. a tool D. signals
19. There is no ____ evidence to date that people in the Western world can control their dreams, at least in experimental situations in a lab.
A. solid B. hard C. good D. fine
20. Many of the inventions that made people ____ and have determined the direction of American industry were related to agriculture and food production.
A. affluent B. abundant C. sufficient D. bankrupt
21. They ____ a coin to decide who would go first.
A. ticked B. tiled C. towed D. tossed
22. You should ____ to one or more weekly magazines such as Time,or People.
A. subscribe B. order C. prescribe D. reclaim
23. No one knew the man’s age until he ____ it by accident.
A. display B. revealed C. exhibit D. exposed
24. Rising from the table he ____ his hat and went out.
A. put on B. dressed C. had on D. wore
25. His hard work ____ him a good reputation.
A. obtained B. acquired C. gained D. earned