source, origin, root, resource
Literature is a source of endless pleasure to many thousands.文学是很多人快乐的无尽源泉。
Do you know the origin of the custom of giving presents at Christmas?你知道在圣诞节互赠礼品这一风俗的来源吗?
The root of the question lay in the seizure of the land of Ireland by the English ruling class.这个问题的根源在于英国统治阶级对爱尔兰土地的攫取。
The mortgage is a drain on our financial resources.偿还抵押贷款是我们财务上的一大负担。
ordinary, mediocre, commonplace
It is an ordinary summer day.这是个平常的夏日。
He is a person of mediocre abilities.他是平庸之才。
He’s not at all exciting. In fact, he’s really rather commonplace.他毫不出奇，实际上平庸得很。
1.____, he is always modest.
A. With all his profound knowledge
B. Because of all his profound knowledge?
C. With his all profound knowledge
D. For his profound knowledge
2. His honesty is ____ ; nobody can doubt it.
A. in question B. out of question
C. beside the question D. without question
3. When cooking a delicious dish, this kind of spice ____ into account.
A. must be taken B. was taken
C. had been taken D. would have been taken
4. It was not until he took up fishing that he ____ to relax.
A. had been beginning B. began
C. had begun D. beginning
5. Not only you but also I ____ mistaken on this point.
A. are B. were C. have D. am
6. Twenty pounds ____ enough for such a poor family spend for a month.
A. were B. being C. have been D. was
7. The president of the college, together with the deans, ____ planning a conference for the purpose of laying down a series of regulations.
A. were B. are C. Is D. will
8. Many a person ____ at the gate of the department store.
A. is standing B. are standing
C. have been standing D. have stood
9. “I got to my office on time.”“What if your car____”?
A. would broken down B. broke down
C. breaks down D. had broken down
10. If the weather had been more favorable, the crops ____ still better.
A. will be growing B. are growing
C. would have been growing D. would be growing
11. Before the invention of refrigeration, the ____ of fish and meat was a thorny problem.
A. keeping B. maintaining
C. protection D. preservation
12. A sudden movement caught the pony’s attention and he instantly became ____ and alert.
A. doubtful B. suspicious
C. suspecting D. hesitating
13. During their first teacher?training year, the students often visited local schools for the ____ of lessons.
A. investigation B. observation
C. inspection D. observance
14. I’ll be very glad that you agree to____ this matter.
A. look up B. look for
C. look over D. look into
15. As there was a power cut in the hospital, the surgeon had to ____ the operation.
A. call for B. call off
C. call on D. call out
16. From ancient times, the valley of the Nile has been made ____ by the river floods.
A. famous B. deserted C. attractive D. fertile
17. The manager made a far?seeing decision ____ what she had said.
A. in the light of B. in the course of
C. in favor of D. in the face of
18. Each household ____ five pounds of meat every month.
A. availed B. allocated
C. was endowed with D. was entitled to
19. All the information we have collected in relation to that case ?______? very little.
A. comes up to B. makes up for
C. stands up for D. adds up to
20. The manager was pleased with increased ____ from the factory.
A. outcome B. output C. outset D. outlet
21. The curtains were put up only months ago, but they have ____ badly.
A. shaded B. faded
C. fainted D. withered
22. If you find that chair too hard, I’ll bring you a ____ .
A. pillow B. mat
C. comforter D. cushion
23. Only the headwaiter has some professional hotel ____ so the service is rather slow and inefficient.
A. learning B. training
C. teaching D. instructing
24. Fred doesn’t like white coffee, nor does he like to put cream on his strawberries, because he prefers them ____.
A. plain B. simple C. natural D. ordinary
25. The economists are not quite optimistic about the economic ____ for Europe.
A. outlook B. insight C. opinion D. attitude