character, personality, nature, temperament, individuality
She is a woman of strong character. 她是个性格坚强的女人。
Love had to be a give-and-take, each respecting the other’s personality.爱既包含奉献也包含索取，彼此应尊重对方的人格。
It’s not her nature to be rude; she’s polite by nature.她的天性不是粗鲁无礼，而是彬彬有礼。
Many actors have excitable temperament.许多演员性情容易激动。
Dress expresses the wearer’s individuality.衣着反映人的个性。
1. My train arrives inShenyang at seven o’clock tomorrow. The plane I would like to take from there ____ by then.
A. would leave B. will have left
C. has left D. had left
2. ____ the building did he realize that there was danger everywhere in it.
A. Upon entering B. When he entered
C. Only after entering D. After he had entered
3. He will do anything for us except ____ us his oxen.
A. lending B. will lend C. lend D. has lent
4. The suspect at last admitted ____ the stolen goods but he denied ____ them.
A. receiving...selling B. to receive...selling
C. receiving...to sell D. to receive...to sell
5. How close parents are to their children ____ a strong influence on the character of the children.
A. have B. has C. having D. to have
6. ____ on a clear day, far from the city crowds, the mountains give him a sense of infinite peace.
A. If walking B. Walking
C. While walking D. When one is walking
7. Professor Smith’s dedication to ____ earned him the respect of both his colleagues and students.
A. being taught B. be taught
C. teach D. teaching
8. If only I ____ what you wanted!
A. knew B. know C. had known D. have known
9. He was reading a piece of science fiction, completely ____ to the outside world.
A. to be lost B. lost C. losing D. having lost
10. I’d rather that they ____ during the bad weather, but they insist that they must return home today.
A. don’t travel B. didn’t travel
C. shouldn’t travel D. not travel
11. The manager gave her his ____ that her complaint would be investigated.
A. consent B. conception C. assurance D. insurance
12. It has always been the ____ of this company to promote existing staff to senior positions.
A. procedure B. policy C. process D. prime
13. When he graduated from high school he got his ____.
A. diplomat B. certificate C. degree D identity
14. These varied racial groups have learned to live together in peace and ____, setting an example well worth following.
A. harmony B. grace C. rhythm D. relief
15. John Dewey believed that education should be a preparation for life, that a person learns by doing, and that teaching must ____ the curiosity and creativity of children.
A. stimulate B. spare C. seek D. secure
16. In 1914, an apparently insignificant event in a remote part of Eastern Europe ____ Europe into a great war.
A. imposed B. pitched C. inserted D. plunged
17. What are your ____ for judging a bottle of wine?
A. regulations B. rules
C. premises D. criteria
18. To help students understand how we see, teachers often draw a(n) ?______? between an eye and a camera.
A. contrast B. analogy C. image D. substitute
19. Whereas sudden great disasters are instantaneous, others, such as droughts, are ____.
A. cumulative B. formidable
C. eternal D. prospective
20. We are always ready to ____ our motherland from any foreign aggression.
A. defend B. protect C. guard D. shield
21. The train has been____ by an accident.
A. delayed B. postponed C. put off D. relayed
22. Can you ____ any smell of the gaswhich is escaping?
A. discover B. detect C. find D. spot
23. A(n) ____ annoyance of bus terminals is the abundance of exhaust fumes.
A. instantaneous B. regular
C. inherent D. extensive
24. They have no idea of the ____rich in mineral springs.
A. locality B. location C. situation D. site
25. When Tasuma first came to the U.S. from Japan, he wasn’t sure he could ____ into American culture, but after a few months, he felt at home here.
A. absorb B. transform C. digest D. assimilate