intelligent, clever, bright, wise, smart
When the water pipe burst, she was intelligent enough to turn off the water at the main.水管爆裂时，她的聪明才智使得她能够立刻切断主管道水源。
It’s really clever of you to find your way back here.你能找到回来的路，真聪明。
The girl is bright beyond her years.这个女孩年龄不大却很聪明。
It’s easy to be wise after the event.事后聪明容易。
The students look smart in their new school uniforms.这些学生穿着新校服很帅气。
capable, able, competent
强调有适合做某事的才能，如适应能力、应变能力，尤指处理实际工作的能力，常用于be capable of这一词组中。
指具有明显地超出平均水平的能力，常用于be able to do结构中。
He is capable of leadership.他有领导才能。
Tom is the ablest man I’ve ever met in England.汤姆是我在英国遇见的最有能力的人。
She was very competent at her work.她很胜任自己的工作。
1. Your examination results were quitesatisfactory, but ____ if you had spent less time in playingfootball.
A. wouldn’t they have been better
B. wouldn’t they be better
C. won’t they have been better
D. won’t they be better
2. I have given up trying to convince him, there is no point ____ with him.
A.by arguing B. with arguing
C. for arguing D. in arguing
3. Criticism and self-criticism is necessary ____ it helps us to correct our mistakes.
A. in that B. such that C. so that D. to that
4. To my surprise, the majority of the students ____ in favor of his proposal.
A. is B. are C. be D. was
5.As a matter of fact, children with parents whose guidance is firm, consistent, and rational are inclined ____ high level of self confidence.
A. possess B. to possess
C. to have possessed D. possessing
6. He managed, with his friend’s assistance, ____ before the building was locked.
A. being finished B. be finished
C. to finish D. being finishing
7. Why was the suggestion that she ____ to our party rejected the day before yesterday?
A. be invited B. to be invited
C. being invited D. has been invited
8. The office staff ____ gathered to hear the manager speak.
A. have B. is being C. has D. is
9. ____ the door when a gust of wind blew the candle out.
A. He had no sooner opened
B. Hardly had he opened
C. Scarcely did he opened
D. No sooner did he open
10. The workers are practising ____ a new song for the coming evening party of the New Year’s Eve.
A. to sing B. to be singing
C. singing D. being sung
11. His speech was careful and ____ but his words seemed to make no sense.
A. distinct B. distinctive
C. distinguishable D. distinguished
12. The interpreter gave only a ____ version of the old man’s long rambling account.
A. minimum B. tiny C. condensed D. compressed
13. I know him ____ but I have never actually spoken to him.
A. from sight B. by sight
C. in sight D. for sight
14. Strenuous efforts have been made to ____ government expenses to a desired level.
A. cut off B. cut back C. cut down D. cut short
15. They were digging to find some ____of the Viking Period.
A. tracks B. traits C. traces D. tracts
16. With a wave of his hand, the conjurer made the rabbit ____.
A. linger B. vanish C. hover D. soar
17. She has a small machine for ____ coffee beans.
A. breaking B. grinding C. splitting D. crashing
18. The trouble with owning a foreign car is that ____ parts are so expensive.
A. extra B. separate C. spare D. reserve
19. Whenever he writes to his parents, he ____ a check with his letter.
A. includes B. contains C. inserts D. encloses
20. The energy gained from the sun can then be used during the night to enable the necessary chemical reactions to ____ in his body.
A. proceed B. practise C. progress D. precede
21. When Mr.Green was away on business, his neighbor gave his wife a(n) ____ with the housework.
A. aid B. help C. hand D. lift
22. There is a ____ of vegetables in Dalian at the moment because of the cold weather.
A. need B. want C. shortage D. desire
23. When I heard footsteps behind me I was ____ of being attacked.
A. horrified B. horrible C. terrific D. terrified
24. His illness made him ____ of concentration.
A. incompetent B. unable
C. incapable D. powerless
25. I let children make their own decisions now they are older; I wouldn’t ____ to interfere.
A. presume B. resume C. assume D. force