beat, win, conquer, defeat, overcome
指在竞赛或战斗中击败对方，其对象一般应是物，如battle, race, victory等。
如：We can easily beat you atbaseball.打垒球我们可以轻易地击败你们。
The Chinese team won in the end.最后中国队赢了。
The Normans conquered England in 1066.1066年，诺曼底人征服了英格兰。
He defeated his opponents in this election.在这次竞选中，他击败了对手。
He made efforts to overcome every difficulty.他努力克服每一个困难。
He was awarded a medal for his outstanding contribution to science.由于对科学作出了杰出贡献，他被授予一枚奖章。
He rewarded me with 30 dollars for taking him to the airport.我把他送到机场，他给了我30美元作酬金。
1. She never laughed,____ lose her temper.
A. nor she ever did B. or sheever did
C. or did she ever D. nor didshe ever
2. ____ with the developed areas, people’s living standard of this province isnot high at all.
A. Compare B. While comparing
C. When compared D. Comparing
3. It is no use ____ me not to worry about his injury.
A. you tell B. your telling
C. for you to have told D.having told
4. If the earth suddenly ____ spinning, we would allfly off it.
A. had stopped B. stopped
C. has stopped D. would stop
5. Advertising is distinguished from other forms of communication ?______? theadvertiser pays for the message to be delivered.
A. in that B. in which
C. in order that D. in the way
6. After taking office, China’s Prime Minister, Zhu Rongji, tried his best topromote the new ____ policies.
A. economic B. economical C. economy D. economics
7. Look at these clouds. ____.
A. It will rain B. It’s goingto rain
C. It will be raining D. Itis to rain
8. ____ the 1500’s ____ the first Europeans explored the coast of California.
A. It was not until/then B.It is not until/when
C. It is until/that D. Itwas not until/that
9. ____ the letter, I ran out of the room to the post office.
B. No sooner that I had finished up
C. As soon as I finished writing
D. Since I finished up to write
10. If the law and order ____, neither the citizen nor his property is safe.
A. are not preserved B. havenot been preserved
C. were notpreserved D.is not preserved
11. Before moving to another city, Amy ____ of the house and the furniture.
A. disposed B. discarded C. discharged D. distributed
12. Amy Taylor was ____ both as a drama critic and as a poet.
A. subtle B. progressive C. eminent D. plausible
13. He was very much interested in the work of charities, and made a regular____ to them.
A.dedication B. fellowship
C. hospitality D.contribution
14. The temperature ____ greatly; the days were very hot, the nights very cold.
A. changed B. altered C. varied D. reflected
15. The washing machine would not work because of a(n) ____in the switch.
A. mistake B. trouble C. error D. defect
16. Recently there has been a great ____ for small cars that consume littlegas.
A. request B. want C. demand D. claim
17. Mark ____ his breath in wonder when he saw the Christmas tree in thesitting room.
A. held B. grasped C. kept D . blew
18. Our school singing group is going to give a(n) ____performance next month.Don’t miss it.
A. alive B. living C. life D. live
19. The old buildings blend with the new ones in perfect ____so a walk alongNanking Road is an enjoyable discovery.
A. control B. order C. harmony D. action
20. It is not profitable to provide bus service in districts where thepopulation is widely ____.
A. divided B. separated C. spaced D. scattered
21. It was necessary to ____ the factory building as the company was doing moreand more business.
A. extend B. increase C. lengthen D. grow
22. He studied hard in his youth, which ____ his great success in later life.
A. answered for B. consistedof
C. doubled up D.contributed to
23. If I look the other way, I can see the mouth of the river, wild and ____,and the sea beyond.
A. grand B. inspired C. fierce D. splendid
24. The relationship between dream life and waking life has been studied ____.
A. originally B. intensively C. extremely D. properly
25. ____ the danger from enemy action, people had to cope with severe shortageof food, clothing, fuel, and almost everything.
A. as to B. as usual C. as regards D. as well as