endure, bear, stand, tolerate, put up with
put up with
如：He quietly endures the pain of a loveless marriage.他默默地忍受着没有爱情的婚姻的煎熬。
The sorrrow was almost more than she could bear.她几乎忍受不了那种悲伤。
I can’t stand hot weather.我受不了热天。
A government that refuses to tolerate opposition cannot last long.一个不听取反对意见的政府是不会长久的。
It’s hard for people to put up with that kind of treatment.人们很难忍受那种待遇。
basis, base, foundation
We reached this conclusion on the basis of many experiments.在多次实验的基础上，我们作出了这个结论。
I found a small leaf at the base of the flower.我在那朵花的底部发现一片小叶。
The workmen are laying the foundation of the new lecture building.工人们正在为新教学楼打地基。
1. If only the arbitration court ____ the dispute.
A. resolve B. will resolve
C. can resolve D. would resolve
2. I advise you ____ of ____ out such a dangerous plan.
A. to stop to think... carry
B. to stop thinking... carrying
C. to stop thinking... carry
D. to stop thinking... to carry
3. She bought ____ plates.
A. one dozen beautiful pale blue dinner
B. one dozen pale blue beautiful dinner
C. beautiful one dozen pale blue dinner
D. one dozen dinner beautiful pale blue
4. More and more advanced farm machines ____ , the agricultural production increased tremendously.
A. using B. having used
C. having been used D. to have been used
5. I think you are supposed ____ your graduate study last year.
A. to be finishing B. to have finished
C. to finish D. to have been finished
6. The paper ____ several persons are risking their lives is an important report on missiles.
A. after which B. for which
C. with which D. at which
7. The actress is not so beautiful ____ the press described in advance.
A. that B. which C. as D. what
8. The protection device can eliminate the faults ____they cause more damage.
A. unless B. until C. before D. although
9. All ____ is peace and progress.
A. what is needed B. for our needs
C. the thing needed D. that is needed
10. ____ he was aware ofthe real meaning of life.
A. That was from that book
B. It was that book which
C. It was from that book that
D. It was that book that
11. I hope you will never fall into that ____.
A. mistake B. fault C. error D. defect
12. Then the ____ streamed into the great hall.
A. group B. crowd C. gang D. masses
13. Once a ____ is formed it is very difficult to shake it off.
A. habit B. custom C. practice D. usage
14. My husband likes early American furniture, but I prefer ____styles, designs that reflect today’s times.
A. noble B. neutral
C. contemporary D. simple
15. For many people, overeating and overspending are as ____to Christmas as candles and holly.
A. integral B. suitable C. inevitable D. compatible
16. When my kids go a weekend without pizza and TV while camping, they think they are suffering great ____.
A. deficiency B. deprivation
C. depression D. starvation
17. The police have asked for the____ of the public in tracing the whereabouts of the missing boy.
A. cooperation B.advice C. helpfulness D. aid
18. She murmured something and blushed as if a secret had been ____.
A. imposed B. exposed C. removed D. renewed
19. Your service is entirely ____ , not compulsory.
A. selective B. optional C. voluntary D. reluctant
20. Their distribution is also ____, sometimes, widely spaced, in places, closely packed together.
A. various B. alternative C. variable D. conventional
21. Food and drink are good and desirable, but their ____can cause serious health and mental problems.
A. effect B. abuse C. custom D. usage
22. I called on him the morning after our arrival, and was ____with his gay, precise manner and obvious power of decision.
A. inclined B. implied
C. impressed D. illustrated
23. The trade agreement between the two countries will ____next year.
A. adjoin B. expire C. boost D. concede
24. Two boys were caught smoking at school but the headmaster let them ____ with a warning.
A. off B. down C. out D. alone
25. Advertising costs are no longer in reasonable ____to the total cost of the product.
A. testimony B. relationship C. proportion D. legislation