如果句中主语的中心名词是suggestion, proposal, order, request, recommendation等，那么后面的表语从句一般要使用虚拟语气，其谓语形式为：(should)+动词原形。
His motion is that we should hold another session to discuss the problem.
My proposal was that we cancel the examination and assign the students to write term papers instead.
beam, shine, glitter, flash, glow
如：Look, there’s a beam of light coming through the thick fog.瞧，浓雾里射出了一道光线。
Give your shoes a good shine.把你的鞋擦亮点儿。
We were attracted by the glitter of the Christmas tree decorations.我们被圣诞树上闪闪发光的装饰物所吸引。
His first novel was a flash in the pan.他的第一部小说只是昙花一现。
The glow from the embers warmed us.火红的余烬使我们感到暖洋洋的。
1. One of the requirements for a fire is that the material ____to its burning temperature.
A. be heated B. is heated
C. would be heated D. to heated
2.____ will Mr. Forbes be able to regain control of the company.
A. With hard work B. Only if he works hardly
C. In spite of his hard work D. Only with hard work
3. ____ is no reason for discharging her.
A. Because she was a few minutes late
B. Owing to a few minutes being late
C. The fact that she was a few minutes late
D. Being a few minutes late
4.____ what may, we’re not going to make any concessions to his unreasonable demands.
A. Come B.Came C. Coming D. Having come
5. Every means ____ tried out but never with success, as far as my knowledge goes.
A. is B. are C.has been D. have been
6. He concluded his speech with a remark that failure ____the mother of success.
A. is B. were C.was D.must be
7. The design liaison meeting ____ ten days by the time it ends.
A. must have lasted B. will have lasted
C. would last D. has lasted
8. ____ before we depart the day after tomorrow, we should have a wonderful dinner party.
A. Had they arrived B. Would they arrive
C. Were they arriving D. Were they to arrive
9. As ____ clear from his manners, he is a teacher.
A. being B. is C. to be D. been
10. Great as Newton was, many of his ideas ____ today and are being modified by the work of scientists of our time.
A. are to challenge B. may be challenged
C. have been challenged D. are challenging
11. It is necessary that the students ____ more excercises to do.
A. have B.must have C. will have D. can have
12. The present situation forced us to ____ this policy.
A. adapt B. admit C. adopt D. adjust
13. We can ____ the two islands with a bridge.
A. unite B. connect C. relate D. combine
14. Due to the bad weather the plane was ____ for two hours.
A. delayed B. canceled C.postponed D. dismissed
15. The ____ populated area was a breeding place forinfectious diseases.
A. densely B. sparcely C. improperly D. poisonous
16. Perhaps the customer has ____ his monthly statement and not paid the bill.
A. omitted B. bewildered C. overlooked D. escaped
17. He was almost asleep, ____ with all this hard work.
A. worn down B. worn out
C. worn off D. worn away
18. It happened in front of a fruit and vegetable ____in my neighborhood.
A. station B. stand C. joint D. lift
19. The first step in the study of any language is observing and ____ precisely what happens when native speakers speak it.
A. setting off B. setting about
C. setting up D. setting down
20. As the pressure____, the liquid rock is forced up through channels in the resistant rock to the earth’s surface.
A. intensifies B. magnifies
C. heightens D.deviates
21. Poll is an example of a severely disabled person who has become?______?at many survival skills.
A. efficient B. proficient C. persistent D. transient
22. Rumors are everywhere, spreading fear,damaging reputations, and turning calm situations into ____ ones.
A. tragic B. turbulent C. vulnerable D. vicious
23. I believe that remark ____ from what you said yesterday.
A. resulted B. arose C. came D. originated
24. Her ____ was held at the local church.
A. funeral B. festival C. farewell D. finish
25. Tom ____ of his wife how she had met her friend.
A. asked B. questioned
C. inquired D. interrogated