It is proposed that more selective courses be offered next year.
It has been decided that a special committee be formed to supervise the work.
该句式中的形容词一般包括：advisable, appropriate, desirable, essential, important, imperative, necessary, impossible等。例如：
It is important that the students take brief notes while listening to the lecture.
It is essential that all the facts be examined first.
近义词辨析obvious, apparent, evident, clear
It was an obvious mistake for him to have gone alone.他独自一人去，这是一个明显的错误。
It was becoming increasingly apparent that he disliked me.他不喜欢我这一点变得越来越明显。
The applause made it evident that the play was a hit.掌声明显地表明这部剧引起了轰动。
The situation is clear to everyone.局势大家都清楚。
1. Little is known of his childhood ____ at a factory at the early age of ten.
A. to begin to work B. beginning to work
C. save that he began to work D. about that he worked
2. There is a general understanding among the members of the Board of Directors that chief attention ____to the undertaking that is expected to bring highest profit.
A. is given B. gives
C. should be given D. must be given
3. They did not find ____ to prepare for the worst conditions they might meet.
A. worth their while B. it worthwhile
C. it worth D. it worthy
4. Quarter horses can start more quickly, turn more sharply, and run faster over short courses ____ breeds can.
A. than the other B. other
C. than other D. of all other
5. Most insurance agents would rather you ____ anything about collecting claims until they investigate the situation.
A. do B. didn’t do C. don’t D. didn’t
6. “I’m surely dirty, ____?”
A. am I B. isn’t I C. aren’t I D. am not I
7. ____ illness, he retired.
A. Thanks to B. According to
C. Owing to D. For the sake of
8. This car has many features including ____.
A. stereo, safety devices, air condition, and it saves gas
B. good music, safe devices, air conditioning,and gas
C. stereo, safety devices, air conditioned and good gas
D. stereo, safety devices, air conditioning, and low gas mileage
9. Every boy and girl must have ____ hair neatly combed.
A. his B. her C. its D. their
10. I wish you ____ Jim so much. He is still very depressed.
A. not to hurt B. didn’t hurt
C. would not D. had not hurt
11. Before the school ____ what students must wear, they wore just about anything.
A. managed B. authorized
C. regulated D. standardized
12. While the population of the United States includes a great variety ofracial and ethnic backgrounds, Japan’s population is ____.
A. autonomous B. homogeneous
C. ambitious D.anonymous
13. The contents of the safety deposit box are ____being held by the police until the trial.
A. theoretically B. temporarily
C. rationally D. naturally
14. ____ of half?starving foxes were roaming the snow?covered mountain areas.
A. Herds B. Packs C. Flocks D. Crowds
15. The very idea of her winning the English competition is quite ?______?.
A. strange B. absurd C. unlikely D. sensible
16. The earnest student waited with some slight ____while the teacher was reading his composition.
A. despair B. upset C. nervousness D. hatred
17. The woman in the kitchen ____ to the doctor that the water was hot.
A. motioned B. mentioned C. meant D. motivated
18. Two years later the opportunity came for him to take a ____American look at the Old World.
A. distinctly B. distinctively C. distinct D. distinctive
19. The audience disliked the film thoroughly and were ____by whistling and stamping their feet.
A. protecting B. protesting C. projecting D. proposing
20. In brief, it should be our goal to ____ as much of the original beauty of nature as we can.
A.restore B. introduce C. suit D. supply
21. We should ____ with the difficulties we were confronted with.
A. accord B. acquaint C. brood D. contend
22. She is the person who likes to ____ her knowledge.
A. show up B. show in C. show off D. show round
23. The discovery of gold can bring great ____ to our country.
A. property B. rich C. wealth D. sum
24. I am ____ that many readers are favorably impressed with your writings.
A. confirmed B. confident C. indifferent D. confused
25. His ____ at the meeting yesterday hurt her a lot.
A. conduct B. action C. behavior D. act