But for their help ,we wouldn’t have succeeded.
His progress wouldn’t have been made without arduous work.
I was too busy yesterday. Otherwise I would have been here to see you.
Anyone in his position would have done the same.
purpose, aim, goal, end
例如：He went to new York City for themere purpose of seeing 42nd avenue.他去纽约只是为了看看四十二大道。
Her aim is to marry a westerner and live abroad.她的目标是嫁给西方人，住到国外。
We have been fighting for one common goal.我们一直为了一个共同的目标奋斗。
He never achieved his end.他从未达到目的。
1. Revolutionmeans ____ the productive forces.
A. to liberate B. liberated C. liberate D. liberating
2. Variables such as individual and corporate behaviour ____nearly impossiblefor economists to forecast economic trend with precision.
A. make B. make it C. making D. makes it
3. Home is home, ____ ever so homely.
A. it is B. it were C. be it D. it be
4. Mary is ____ than Alice.
A. more experienceda teacher
B. a more experienced teacher
C. more an experienced teacher
D.more experienced teacher
5. Arriving at the bus stop, ____ waiting there.
A. a lot of people were
B. he found a lot of people
C. a lot of people
D. people were found
6. She has taken great pains to conceal her emotions, and thereby made them____ conspicuous.
A. all the more B. allthe much
C. all more D. allmuch
7. He didn’t go to the party, but he does wish he ____there.
A. would be B. has been
C. would have been D. hadbeen
8. It was recommended that passengers ____ smoke during the flight.?
A. not B. need not
C. could not D. would not
9. Only take such clothes ____ really necessary.
A. as were B. as they are
C. as they were D. asare
10. They lost their way in the forest, and ____ made matter worse was thatnight began to fall.
A. that B. what C. it D. which
11. Bargaining can go on the whole day, or even several days, with the customercoming and going ____.
A. in places B. at intervals C. in person D. at large
12. Human behaviour is mostly a product of learning, ____the behavior of ananimal depends mainly on instinct.
A. otherwise B. whereas
C. unless D. nevertheless
13. She ____ a little map for me on the back of my invitation.
A.planned B. slipped C. sketched D. worked
14. If someone is a witness, then he has to ____ in court.
A. augment B. testify C. certify D. betray
15. Richard’s news report covering the conference was so ____that nothing hadbeen omitted.
A.comprehensive B. integrated
C. redundant D. productive
16. Teachers like students to be ____ and listens to what they are saying.
A. cordial B. watchful C. cumulative D. attentive
17. The captain of the ship ____ the passengers that there was no danger.
A. assumed B. insured C. assured D. ensured
18. The educational ____ of computers has not been fully realized.
A. version B. value C. quality D. goal
19. Is it possible to make an early ____ to have my hair cut tomorrow?
A. enrollment B. engagement
C. appointment D.arrangement
20. After I heard that I took a deferred pass in chemistry, I was in a ____emotional state.
A.greatly B. highly C.doubtfully D. nervously
21. Since I could not see anything through the microscope, ____my carefuladjustment, I gave up.
A. for all B. above all C. after all D. in all
22. When the Victorians had family reunions, the hosts ____their way toentertain the guests.
A. went in for B. went over
C. went out of D. went backon
23. The washing machine factory guaranteed that all ____parts would be replacedwithout charge.
A. disappearing B. unused C. defective D. miss
24. It was reported that the ____ concerning the accident would be handled bythe chief of police.
A. recording B. gossip C. exploration D. inquiry
25. While they were away on vacation, they allowed their mail to ____ at thepost office.
A. pile up B. set up C. turn up D. mix up