虚拟式常用于出现在wish, would rather, suppose, imagine之后的that分句中，表示一种臆想的(通常是不可能发生的)情况。例如：I wish it were spring all the year round.
I’d rather I were not at the site of the accident.
在“It’s time + that分句”结构中，that分句中应使用一般过去时。例如：It’s time that I went.
在If I were you 这一分句中，were不能换成was,应当特殊对待。例如：Were I to do it (If I were to do it), I should rely on you.?
近义词辨析surprise, amaze, astonish, astound
It doesn’t surprise me that his parents did not allow himto marry beneath him.他的父母不允许他同地位比他低的女子结婚，这并不使我感到惊讶。
He’s amazed that she should get promoted over his head.他对她得以迈过他而提升感到惊异。
It astonished him that his son had been caught cheating in the exams.他的儿子考试作弊被抓住了，这使他大为吃惊。
The enormous changes in the quality of life of the inhabitants astounded us.城镇居民生活质量的巨大变化令我们惊愕。
1. Everyone in the family bullied her and made her do all the chores, she was indeed ____.
A. Ciderella B. a Cinderella
C. the Cinderella D. that Cinderella
2. Air is to us ____ water to fish.
A. like B. as C. what D. that
3. ____ troublesome the problem is, he faces it with patience.
A. However B. No matter C. Despite D. Although
4. Peter became angry and said that ____.
A. he was tired to listen to them
B. the listening to them was tired for him
C. he was tiring listening to them
D. he was tired of listening to them
5. Weather ____, the picnic will be held as scheduled.
A. permits B. should permit
C. will permit D. permitting
6. We regret ____ you that your subscription is overdue.
A. informing B. to inform
C. being informed D. to be informed
7. ____ you are a college teacher, you probably have to take your holidays in July and August.
A. Since that B. Since now
C. By now D. Now that
8. He had no business ____ mixed up in such a matter.
A. getting B. in getting C. to be got D. get
9. Everybody must observe the rule, not ____ the director.
A. except B.but
C. excepting D. except for
10. The texture of the rock’s grains were described ____“like sugar”.
A. as being B. as is C. as was D. as if
11. The subject of children starving to death is too ____to joke about.
A. grim B. grief C. shrewd D. snobbish
12. We can’t just ____ these objections off.
A. ward B. lay C.shrug D. shake
13. Children are ____ for saying the wrong thing at the wrong time.
A.naughty B. plain C. versatile D. notorious
14. Let’s ____ the bird from the case.
A. liberate B. put C. set D. free
15. She regarded the burglary as a(n) ____ of her home.
A. invasion B. suppression
C. violation D. theft
16. I telephoned this afternoon, but nobody ____ .
A. replied B. responded C. returned D. answered
17. The ____ of my paper on animal communication includes a book on whale songs.
A. biography B. preface
C. introduction D. bibliography
18. Many experts ____ a low?protein, high?carbonhy drate diet.
A. prompt B. advocate C. inherent D.claim
19. The medical center’s annual fee is ____ , covering all visits and services.
A. indicative B. indefinite
C. inclusive D. integral
20. Dominic is the most ____ pupil in class.
A. individual B. industrial
C. indulgent D. industrious
21. Mr. Morgan gradually ____ a knowledge of the subject.
A. attained B. required C. acquired D. enquired
22. Though steam engines have now passed the ____ of their usefulness, their heritage remains.
A. prime B. era C. epoch D. date
23. What he said just now had little to do with the question ____discussion.
A. with B. under C. by D. over
24. Molten iron is poured into the mixer in the same way ____tea is poured into a cup from a teapot.
A. as B.that C. since D. like
25. The Russians also burned their farms and ____ their dams and power plants.
A. blew up B. blew off C. blew out D. blew over