有些名词如attempt, chance, effort, freedom, intention, reason, necessity, opportunity, time, way等，在其后用不定式或介词+?ing分词均可，意义无甚区别。例如：The doctor made a bold attempt to save/at saving the child’s life.
有些名词如ability, agreement, ambition, anxiety, curiosity, mind, obligation, permission, refusal, tendency, wish等，在其后通常带不定式，而不带介词+ing分词。例如：
Our ability to think and speak separates us from other mammals.
还有些名词如aptitude, experience, hope, method, possibility, difficulty, interest, plan, habit, passion, genius等，其后通常带介词+ing分词，而不带不定式。例如：There is no hope of winning the game.
近义词辨析strange, eccentric, odd, peculiar, queer, unique
With so many strange faces around her, she felt a bit nervous.身边尽是陌生的面孔，她感到有点紧张。
You’ll be considered eccentric if you go to the banquet in your tennis shoes.如果穿着网球鞋去参加宴会，别人会认为你很古怪。
Einstein was considered an odd man by the neighbours’ kids.邻居的孩子们认为爱因斯坦是个古怪的人。
We can identify the drug by its peculiar smell.我们可以通过其古怪的气味来辨认那种毒品。
He had a queer expression on his face.他的面部表情古怪。
His calligraphic style is unique.他的书法风格很独特。
1. ____ their help, we wouldn’t have succeeded.
A. Hadn’t been for B. Had it not been for
C. It hadn’t been for D. Hadn’t it been for
2. ____ that the sweater is hand-made, the price seems reasonable.
A. Since B. In view C. Because D. Considering
3. I am in charge of welcoming the ____.
A. visitors from outside of town
B. out-of-town visitors
C. visitors of out-of-town
D. outside town visitors
4. I really do not know whether we can succeed, so do not expect ____.
A. too much of us B. us too much
C. of us too much D. us of too much
5. Japan has begun to rival America ____.
A. producing automobiles
B. to manufacture automobiles
C. in the production of automobiles
D. for automobiles producing
6. He did nothing but ____ letters home all this afternoon.
A. to writ B. writing C. write D. wrote
7. ____ left before the deadline, it does not seem likely that Jimmy will accomplish the job.
A. With so short time
B. Although such a short time
C.With such a short time
D. It is such a short time
8. “Will Tom recover?”“Right now there is no way ____.”
A. of knowing B. to be known
C. for knowing D. to have known
9. No sooner had we started out ____ it began to snow.
A.then B.when C. than D. whenever
10. ____ the consequence, I will be on your side.
A. However B. No matter how
C. No matter D. Whatever
11. When they arrived at the cross roads, they went the wrong ____.
A. direction B. way C. path D. route
12. I can’t stand the summer’s ____ heat.
A. intensive B. heavy C. intense D. high
13. She takes ____ interest in the economic reform in China.
A. considerable B. conventional
C. considerate D. conservative
14. When our university library bought this microscope we were given a one year’s ____.
A. proof B. reservation C. security D. guarantee
15. The football player had studied economics in the university for a(n) ____ of roughly six years.
A. decade B. time C. age D. period
16. A dictionary of the English language, ____ by Dr. Samuel Johnson, was the first real attempt as a systematic written survey of English usage.
A. compiled B. composed
C. concocted D. collected
17. The volunteer firefighters valiantly tried to put out the ____forest fire.
A. raging B. rippling C. rolling D. roaring
18. Education is ____ for all school?age children in many a country.
A. universal B. compulsory C. requested D. general
19. The policeman’s ____ mind caught the suspect’s lies.
A. alive B. alert C. experienced D. imaginable
20. Over years, a balance is ____ among the plants and animals in a community and it remains basically stable.
A. worked out B. worked off
C. worked over D. worked up
21. The global influence of English can be measured by the opposition of its old ____, French.
A. rival B. mould C. objective D. plot
22. That night’s ____ with Grace was as tough a battle as I’ve ever fought with an animal.
A. experience B. encounter C. fatigue D. attack
23. I don’t think I have become more political, but if I see injustice and ____, I feel I have to do something.
A. hostility B. hostage C. inhumanity D. indignation
24. Dr. Foxsaid that wolves he has have been even more ____and more sensitive to human feelings than most dogs have.
A. expressive B. extensive
C. impressive D. intensive
25. The present universal fear has been the result of a forward surgeinour knowledge and ____ of certain dangerous factors in the physical world.
A. perception B. supplement
C. synthesis D.manipulation