当句首状语为否定词或带否定意义的词语时，一般引起局部倒装。这些词语常见的有：never, not for one minute, nolonger, on no account, no more, nowhere else, at no time, hardly, scarcely,rarely, not for nothing等。例如：
Never have I found him in such a good mood.
Only yesterday did he find out that his watch was missing.
以关联连词not only(but also)和so(...that)开头的句子，通常引起局部倒装。例如：
So small was the mark that I could hardly see it.
gaze, glare, gape, peer, stare
We gazed at the rough sea lost in thought.我们凝视波涛汹涌的大海，陷入沉思。
People glared at the man who had assassinated their premier.人们愤怒地瞪着刺杀了他们总理的凶手。
Tourists gaped at the animal keeper feeding meat to the lions.游客们目不转晴地看着饲养员给狮子喂肉。
The detective peered into the room through hisbinoculars.侦探用望远镜向屋内窥视。
The girl stared at the beggar instead of giving him some money.小女孩冷冷地盯着乞丐，没给他钱。
1. Any steam engine gives us an example of ____ into work.
A.heats having turned B. heats turning
C. heats having been turned D. heat being turned
2. Essentially, a theory is an abstract, symbolic representation of ______ reality.
A. what it is conceived B. that is conceived
C. that is being conceived D. what is conceived to be
3. Not until a monkey is several years old ____ to exhibit signs of independence from its mother.
A.it does begin B. when it begins
C. does it begin D. before it begins
4. Television will be used to enable customers to shop from the comfort of their homes by simply ordering via the TV screen, payment____ by direct debit of their credit cards.
A. making it B. is made
C. being made D. will be made
5. A woman has to be ____ a man to go half as far.
A. twice as good as B. as twice good as
C. twice good as D. twice so good as
6. Hardly had we got on the bus ____ it began to rain.
A. when B. since C. but D. before
7. I’m sorry I can’t go with you, but I wish you ____.
A. a good time B. have a good time
C. to have a good time D. will have a good time
8. Many a time ____ them not to do so.
A. we have warned B. do we have warned
C. have we warned D. warned we have
9. They have produced ____.
A. 10 more pianos this month than last month
B. 10 pianos more this monththan last month
C. 10 pianos this month as many as last month
D. 10 as many pianos this month as last month
10. He was hungry and ordered two ____ of fish.
A. shares B. parts C. portions D. sections
11. The best students are ____ special scholarships.
A. awarded B. rewarded C. forwarded D. honored
12. She stood up and ____ in strong language.
A. opposed B. reckoned C. objected D. shouted
13. After becoming paralysed, Jane had to get used to the loss of____.She hated having to depend on others for things she once did for herself.
A. authority B. autonomy
C. attraction D. dependence
14. Having poor handwriting is not much of a ____ in an age of typewriters and computers.
A. difference B. possibility
C. convention D. liability
15. The ____ grades are generally considered to be kindergarten through third grade.
A. primitive B. primary C. promising D. proceeding
16. The meal was excellent; the pears were particularly____.
A. flavored B. delicious C. tasteful D. gracious
17. His parents give him many expensive toys as some form of ____for his lameness and inability to play active games.
A. remedy B. compensation
C. treatment D. comfort
18. To what extent will future scientific discoveries make possible the ____ of the human life span.
A. increase B. expansion
C. growth D. prolongation
19. She was at the ____ of her career when she was badly injured in the car accident.
A. bloom B. peak C. excess D. extreme
20. Should the ____ of patriotism be controlled by reason
??A. sentiment B. affection C. emotion D. passion
21.____ going through to New York yesterday to attend his son’s wedding, Dr. Knapp flew to Chicago for a flower show.
A. On the contrary B. In spite of
C. Instead of D. Because of
22.____ to the question of refreshments, I should think orange juice and potato chips will be sufficient.
A.Due B. As C. Prior D. According
23. To most of the undergraduate students, the doctoral degree is a distant ____.
A. theme B. prospect C. threshold D. token
24. The party’s reduced vote was ____ of lack of support for its policies.
A. authoritative B. acute
C. adverse D. indicative
25. Plato’s teaching had a profound ____ on Aristotle.
A. sentiment B. affect C. effect D.sanction