a)省略连词if,把were, had, should移到主语前。例如：
Were they here now, they would give us some advice.
Had it not been for your help, we wouldn’t have succeeded.
b)用介词或介词短语without, but for, in the absence of, under...Without the leadership of the Party, we could not live a happy life.
But for the atmosphere we would die.
c)if only结构，表示“但愿…”，“要是…”，例如：If only I had more time, I could go to watch the performance.
If only I knew where he lives.
近义词辨析gather, assemble, collect
The pupils are gathered into the auditorium.学生们被召集在大礼堂。
The football fans assembled on the square to celebrate the victory of their team.球迷们聚集在广场上庆祝他们球队的胜利。
They collected some precious butterfly specimens on the mountains.他们在山上收集了一些珍贵的蝴蝶标本。
1. Public acceptance of rabbit as an economical source of protein dependson ____.
A. how aggressively do producers market it
B. if it marketed aggressively
C. how aggressively producers market it
D. whether or not aggressive marketing
2. You mustn’t eat these apples ____ they are unripe.
A. much as B. because of C. even if D. in case
3. Although ____ happened in the developed country sounds like science fiction, it could occur elsewhere in the world.
A. which B. what C. how D. it
4. It was he in ____ we had the greatest faith.
A. who B. whose C. whom D. that
5. Being in no great hurry, ____.
A.we went the long route
B. the long scenic route was our preference
C. we took the long, scenic route
D. our preference was taking the long, scenic route
6.Neither of the answers ____ right.
A. were B. is C. has been D. are
7. He is ill, ____ I am only a little tired.
A. whereas B. on the contrary
C. and D. however
8. She is rich, and ____ is more, very beautiful.
A. who B. that C. what D. which
9. Say ____you like， it is your father that made you ____ you are.
A. that ;that B. that;what
C. what ;that D. what ;what
10. ____ you made your bed,____you must lie on it.
A.Because;so B.For;and C. Once ;and D. As ;so
11. If reading is to accomplish anything more than ____time, it must be active.
A. wasting B. spending C. passing D.idling
12. The ____ from the airport was really tiring because it was situated far from the city.
A. flight B. travel C. crossing D. journey
13. Kenya’s Tsavo Game Park ____ Susan much of the wildlife park she had visited in New Jersey.
A. evoked B. recalled
C. reminded D. remembered
14. Did you notice the ____ on the doctor’s face when he heard that Kita had found the pearl of the world.
A. appearance B. expression C. description D. illusion
15. They plan to ____ the run-down house in a year’s time.
A. revive B. renovate C. replace D. remove
16. The supply of silver in the mine had ____, causing great concern among the people of the town.
A. increased B. extended C. devalued D. diminished
17. The lawyer thought that piece of evidence was ____early in the investigation, but it turned out to be vital in convicting the criminal.
A. unchangeable B. unsuitable
C. insignificant D. important
18. The once beautiful flowers in the vase had ____.
A. withered B.wasted C. watered D. wrinkled
19. This has been the ____ of the frontier on the American mind.
A. impact B. input C. effort D. recognition
20. Because of its incredibly ____ natural resources, the United States appeared to be a “land of plenty”.
A. optional B. abundant C. maximum D. leading
21. The most important of these leaders was Martin Luther King, a black minister with a great gift for ____ his people.
A. exciting B. cheering C. inspiring D. offering
22. Material abundance has been the life blood which has ____Americans in their basic beliefs and values.
A. contributed B. provided C. favored D. sustained
23. I ____ a letter to an Internet service that distributes journalists’ questions to more than 850 institutions.
A. assigned B. attached
C. dispatched D.detached
24. Some colleges are state-supported, others are privately ____, and still others are supported by religious organizations.
A. entitled B. endeavored C. ensured D. endowed
25. In addition, there are specialized public schools for the ____, and for those with other special needs, as well as accelerated and enriched courses for gifted students.
A. indulged B. handicapped
C. kidnapped D. invalid