1)在情态成语之后，即在would rather/would sooner/would(just) as soon(宁愿)，may/might as well(不妨)，cannot but/cannot help but之后。例如：
You can’t help but respect them.
Since it’s a fine day we might as well walk.
2)在“使役动词+宾语”之后，即在let, have, make之后。例如：Let there be an end of this misunderstanding.
He won’t have us criticize his work.
Abby made him stay to tea.
3)在“感觉动词+宾语”之后，即在see, hear, observe, notice, feel, watch之后。例如：We feel the house shake.
I didn’t hear you say that.
They did nothing except work.
There’s no choice but to wait.
1. They feel they are justified ____ the child because he was not behaving himself.
A. to punish B. to be punishing
C. in punishing D. punishing
2. ____ in the first round of the competition, our team took the earliest flight back.
A. Being knocked out B. Having been knocked out
C. We were knocked out D. We had been knocked out
3. If the door was not forced open, ____ that the burglar must have had a key.
A. it follows B. it is followed
C. following is D. it will be followed
4. Miss Helen always buys ____ priced clothes.
A. higher B. high C. highest D. highly
5. By 1990, production in the area is expected to double ____of 1980.
A. that B. it C. one D. what
6. I did not choose any of the three offerings, because I found ____ satisfactory.
A. neither of them B. none of it
C. either of them D. none of them
7. A panda’s primary activity is sleep, ____ its waking hours looking for food.
A. that it spends B. for spending
C. and it spends D. will spend
8. The university of California, ____ in 1868, is administered by president and governed by a twenty-four member board of regents.
A. founded B. has been founded
C. to have been founded D. was founded
9. ____ of the play, Desire Under the Elm, introduces the cast of characters and hints at the plot.
A. The act first B. Act first
C. First Act D. Act One
10. I’d rather we ____ our lesson now.
A. have B. had C. should have D. shall have
11. Their walking tour through Springfield never came ____.
A. to B. off C. out D. round
12. The conflict between romantic ____ and harsh reality has been the theme of many great novels.
A. fantasies B. perceptions C. affairs D. revelations
13. Bob’s work is ____ to Tom’s.
A. interior B. inferior C. exterior D. better
14. Sunglasses serve to ____ eyes from the glare of the sun.
A. shield B. shelter C. defend D. guard
15. They bought that piece of land with a ____ to building a new shopping center.
A. purpose B. reason C. view D. goal
16. To be ____, I couldn’t understand what he was driving at.
A. modest B. frank C. sincere D. trivial
17. The exact cause of the killing disease was not known until Dr. Smith discovered it ____.
A. by all means B. by accident
C. by hand D. by and by
18. David found the book ____, it provided him with so much information about the subject.
A. flattering B. fabricating
C. enlightening D. perplexing
19. He had deceiveda great many people but she ____him at once.
A. saw through B. saw off
C. saw about D. saw into
20. It’s on the top shelf, out of ____.
A. reach B. touch C. hand D. distance
21. All the hotels in the town were full up so we stayed in a ____village.
A. close B. near C. nearby D. neighborhood
22. He does not work but he gets a good ____ from his investment.
A. income B. salary C. wage D. earning
23. Mr. Black asked his son Olive to buy a ____ of bread at the baker’s near his school.
A. pound B. loaf C. bag D. packet
24. This detective story may not be ____ interesting to keep the child awake.
A. inadequately B. enough C. sufficiently D. amply
25. The two pieces of fried steak Karl had for dinner gave him a(n)____.
A. headache B. infection C. soar throat D. upset stomach