有些动词或词组如admit, appreciate, avoid, consale, defer, delay, enjoy, escape, excuse, finish, mention, mind, miss, quit, postpone, practise, resist, risk, (can’t) stand, suggest, give up, put off等后面只能接动名词。例如：
I enjoy playing football.
I don’t mind sleeping with the door open.
有些动词如stop, remember, forget, try, mean等接不定式或动名词做宾语，意思各不相同。
try doing sth试试看(没有付诸的行动)
try to do尽力去做(已有行动)
mean doing sth意味着
mean to do sth打算
change, alter, convert, modify, vary
Years of hard work had changed her a great deal.多年辛苦劳作使她变了很多。
She had to ask the dressmaker to alter the dress for her.她不得不请裁缝把衣服改一下。
Scientists are trying to find cheaper ways to convert salt water to fresh water.科学家在努力寻找将海水淡化的更廉价的方法。
They have to modify the terms of their lease.他们不得不修改租赁条款。
She varies the program each month to make it more attractive.每个月她都对节目做些变动，使它更吸引人。
1. Nowhere in nature is aluminum found free, owing to its always ____ with other elements, most commonly with oxygen.
A. being combined B. having combined
C. to combine D. combined
2. Physics is the present-day equivalent of ____ used to be called natural philosophy, from ____ most of present-day science arose.
A. which, what B. that, which
C. what, which D. what, that
3. On no account ____ ever leave the baby at home alone.
A. should you B. you should C. shall you D. you shall
4.____the center of our planetary system was considered as heresy by the church in the Middle Ages.
A. It is the sun and not the earth
B. That the sun and not the earth
C. Being the sun and not the earth
D. The sun and not the earth
5. The reason that his property was confiscated by the country, it ____, was that he was involved in a lot of fraudulent activities during the war.
A. was turned out B. was being turned out
C. being turned out D. turned out
6. I’d rather you ____ by train because the weather forecast said there would be heavy snow tomorrow.
A. went B. shouldgo C. will go D. go
7. Einstein won the Nobel Prize in 1921 and enjoyed great fame in Germany until
the rise of Nazism ____ he was expelled from Germany because he was a Jew.
A. when B. who C. then D. which
8. Nowhere but in the remotest region of the country ____find a place to settle down.
A. can he B. he can C. he D. for him to
9. With one leg broken in that car accident, he cannot even walk, ____ run.
A. let alone B. that’s to say
C. not to speak D. not to mention
10. ____, she led a life of complete seclusion.
A. Being disgraced B. Disgraced
C. Disgracing D. She was disgraced
11. Sometimes a bus ____ gets on the bus to check the tickets.
A. agent B. officer C. conductor D. inspector
12. He made a quick ____ from his illness.
A. relief B. recovery C. survival D. relaxation
13. ____ the stress of examinations are over, we can all relax.
A. While B. Even though C. Now that D. For
14. My cousin Nancy is often in a poisonous mood; I suppose it’s because she is ____ child.
A. one B. a lone C. a single D. an only
15. ____ the factors already referred to, people sometimes feel insecure because their motives are misunderstood by others.
A. But for B. Except for C. Apart from D. Except that
16. If the scheme is ____ carried out without waste of time or energy I shall be completely satisfied.
A.relatively B. noticeably
C. appropriately D. efficiently
17. One day we all may find it useful to have a(n) ____for sending documents, writing any pictures across the telephone lines.
A. receiver B. echo C. extension D. facility
18. To their credit the Department of Energy ____ these ideas and funded a detailed study.
A. took over B. took on C. took up D. took to
19. Feeling that she was in the right, she took ____ at the dirty remark.
A. protection B. offense C. defense D. guard
20. They agreed to share in common any ____ of funds after all expenses were paid in full.
A. sufficiency B. surpass C. excess D. surplus
21. He was____her in intelligence.
A. below B. under C. beneath D. down
22. It took a lot of imagination to come up with such an ____plan.
A. bright B. clever C. brilliant D. ingenious
23. In the refining process,rice and flour lose much of their ____.
A. acid B. alcohol C. vitamin D. sulphur
24. Individual lines of the poem were very beautiful, but I didn’t see how the lines fit together. To me, the poem wasn’t ____.
A. inherent B. coherent C. logical D. corporate
25. To an especially sensitive child, a simple scolding can be a ____experience.
A. hysterical B. grievous C. gracious D. sensible