51. There are as good fish in the sea _____ ever came out of it.
A. than B. like C. as D. so
52. All the President’s Men ______ one of the important books for historians who study the Watergate Scandal.
A. remain B. remains C. remained D. is remaining
53. “You ______ borrow my notes provided you take care of them,” I told my friend.
A. could B. should C. must D. can
54. If only the patient ______ a different treatment instead of using the antibiotics, he might still be alive now.
A. had received B. received C. should receive D. were receiving
55. Linda was _____ the experiment a month ago, but she changed her mind at the last minute.
A. to start B. to have started C. to be starting D. to have been starting
56. She _____ fifty or so when I first met her at the conference.
A. must be B. had been C. could be D. must have been
57. It is not ____ much the language as the background that makes the book difficult to understand.
A. that B. as C. so D. very
58. The committee has anticipated the problems that ____in the road construction project.
A. arise B. will arise C. arose D. have arisen
59. The student said there were a few points in the essay he _____impossible to comprehend.
A. had found B. finds C. has found D. would find
60. He would have finished his college education, but he ____to quit and find a job to support his family.
A. had had B. has C. had D. would have
61. The research requires more money than _______.
A. have been put in B. has been put in C. being put in D. to be put in
62. Overpopulation poses a terrible threat to the human race. Yet it is probably _____a threat to the human race than environmental destruction.
A. no more B. not more C. even more D. much more
63. It is not uncommon for there ____ problems of communication between the old and the young.
A. being B. would be C. be D. to be
64. ______ at in his way, the situation does not seem so desperate.
A. Looking B. looked C. Being looked D. to look
65. It is absolutely essential that William ____ his study in spite of some learning difficulties.
A. will continue B. continued C. continue D. continues