A. Although B. whatever C. As D. However
52. If only I __play the guitar as well as you!
A. would B. could C. should D. might
53. The party, __I was the guest of honour, was extremely enjoyable.
A. by which B. for which C. to which D. at which
54. It’s high time we __ cutting down the rainforests.
A. stopped B. had to stop C. shall stop D. stop
55. The student said there were a few points in the essay he __ impossible to comprehend.
A. has found B. was finding C. had found D. would find
56 Loudspeakers were fixed in the hall so that everyone__ an opportunity to hear the speech.
A. ought to have B. must have C. may have D. should have
57. I am surprised __ this city is a dull place to live in.
A. that you should think B. by what you are thinking
C. that you would think D. with what you were thinking
58. Susan is very hard-working, but her pay is not __ for her work.
A. enough good B. good enough C. as good enough D. good as enough
59. It is imperative that the government __ more investment into the shipbuilding industry.
A. attracts B. shall attract C. attract D. has to
60. Land belongs to the city; there is __ thing as private ownership of land.
A. no such a B. not such C. not such a D. no such
61. My daughter has walked eight miles today. We never guessed that she could walk ___ far.
A. / B. such C. that D. as
62. The statistics ___ that living standards in the area have improved drastically in recent times.
A. proves B. is proving C. are proving D. prove
63. There are only ten apples left in the baskets, ____ the spoilt ones.
A. not counting B. not to count C. don’t count D. having not counted
64. It was ____ we had hoped.
A. more a success than B. a success more than
C. as much of a success as D. a success as much as
65. There used to be a petrol station near the park, __?
A. didn’t it B. doesn’t there C. usedn’t it? D. didn’t there