51. If you explained the situation to your solicitor, he ________ able to advise you much better than I can.
A. would be B. will have been C. was D. were
52. _________, Mr. Wells is scarcely in sympathy with the working class.
A. Although he is a socialist B. Even if he is a socialist
C. Being a socialist D. Since he is a socialist
53. His remarks were ________ annoy everybody at the meeting.
A. so as to B. such as to C. such to D. as much as to
54. James has just arrived, but I didn’t know he_________ until yesterday.
A. will come B. was coming C. had been coming D. came
55. _________ conscious of my moral obligations as acitizen.
A. I was and always will be B. I have to be and always will be
C. I had been and always will be D. I have been and always will be
56. Because fuel supplies are finite and many people are wasteful, we will have to install _________ solar heating device in our home.
A. some type of B. some types of a
C. some type of a D. some types of
57. I went there in 1984, and that was the only occasion when I ________ the journey in exactly two days.
A. must take B. must have made
C. was able to make D. could make
58. I know he failed his last test, but really he’s_________ stupid.
A. something but B. anything but
C. nothing but D. not but
59. Do you know Tim’s brother? He is _________ thanTim.
A. much more sportsman B. more of a sportsman
C. more of sportsman D. more a sportsman
60. That was not the first time he ________ us. Ithink it’s high time we ________ strong actions against him.
A. betrayed…take B. had betrayed…took
C. has betrayed…took D. has betrayed…take
61. What’s the chance of ________ a general electionthis year?
A. there being B. there to be
C. there be D. there going tobe
62. The meeting was put off because we __________ a meeting without John.
A. objected having B. were objected to having
C. objected to have D. objected to having
63. ________ you _______ further problems with your printer, contact your dealer for advice.
A. If, had B. Have, had C. Should,have D. In case, had
64. He asked me to lend him some money, which I agreed to do, ________ that he paid me back the following week.
A. on occasion B. on purpose C. oncondition D. only if
65. Children who stay away from school do ________ for different reasons.
A. them B. / C. it D. theirs
66. –Why are you staring?
–I’ve never seen ______tree before.
A. kind of B. that kind of C. such kind D. such