41. That trumpet player was certainly loud. But I wasn’t bothered by his loudness ____ by his lack of talent.
A. so much as B. rather than C. as D. than
42. ____, I’ll marry him all the same.
A. Was he rich or poor B. Whether rich or poor
C. Were he rich or poor D. Be he rich or poor
43. The government has promised to do ____ lies in its power to ease the hardships of the victims in the flood-stricken area.
A. however B. whichever C. whatever D. wherever
44.____ if I had arrived yesterday without letting you know beforehand?
A. Would you be surprised B. Were you surprised
C. Had you been surprised D. Would you have been surprised
45. If not ____ with the respect he feels due to him, Jack gets very ill-tempered and grumbles all the time.
A. being treated B. treated
C. be treated D. having been treated
46. It is imperative that students ____ their term papers on time.
A. hand in B. would hand in
C. have to hand in D. handed in
47. The less the surface of the ground yields to the weight of a fully-loaded truck, ____ to the truck.
A. the greater stress is B. greater is the stress
C. the stress is greater D. the greater the stress
48. The Minister of Finance is believed ____ of imposing new taxes to raise extra revenue.
A. that he is thinking B. to be thinking
C. that he is to think D. to think
49. Issues of price, place, promotion, and product are ____ conventional concerns in planning marketing strategies.
A. these of the most B. most of those
C. among the most D. among the many of
50.____ both sides accept the agreement ____ a lasting peace be established in this region.
A. Only if, will B. If only, would
C. Should, will D. Unless, would
51. Mr Wells, together with all the members of his family, ____ for Europe this afternoon.
A. are to leave B. are leaving C. is leaving D. leave