1. You _____Jim anything about it. It was none of his business.
a. needn‘t have told b. needn’t tell c. mustn’t have told d. mustn’t tell 2000
2. He ______unwisely, but he was at least trying to do something helpful.
a. may have acted b. must have acted c. should act d. would act 1999
3. Much as______, I couldn’t lend him the money because I simply didn’t have that much spare cash.
a. I would have liked to b. I would like to have
c. I should have to like d. I should have liked to 1999
4. You ______Mark anything. It was none of his business.
a. needn’t have told b. needn’t tell c. mustn’t have told d. mustn’t tell 1998
5. As it turned out to be a small house party, we _____so formally.
a. need not have dressed up b. must not have dressed up
c. did not need to dress up d. must not dress up 1996
6. The meeting’s been cancelled. Ann _____ all that work.
a. need to do b. need have c. needn’t have done d. needed not to do 1995
7. “She must be in the dormitory now.” “No, she ____ be there. I saw her in the classroom a minute ago.”
a. mustn’t b. can’t c. couldn’t d. wouldn’t 1994
8. He _____ the 8:20 bus because he didn’t leave home till 8:25.
a. couldn’t have caught b. ought to have caught
c. shouldn’t have caught d. must not have caught 1994