1. AIDS is said ______the number-one killer of both men and women over the past few years in the region.
a. being b. to be c.to have been d. having been 2002
2. _______is not a serious disadvantage in life.
a. To be not tall b. Not to be tall c. Being not tall d. Not being tall 2001
3. _______him tomorrow?
a. Why not to call on b. Why don’t call on c. Why not calling on d. Why not call on 2001
4. _______at in this way, the present economic situation doesn’t seem so gloomy.
a. Looking b. Looked c. Having looked d. To look 2000
5. This is an illness that can result in total blindness _______left untreated.
a. after b.if c. since d. unless 2000
6. Professor Johnson is said _______some significant advance in his research in the past year.
a. having made b. making c. to have made d. to make 1999
7. The three men tried many times to sneak across the border into the neighboring country, ______by the police each time.
a. had been captured b. being always captured
c. only to be captured d. unfortunately captured 1999
8. The Clarks haven’t decided yet which hotel_______.
a. to stay b.is to stay c. to stay at d. is for staying 1998
9. ______, he can now only watch it on TV at home.
a. Obtaining not a ticket for the match b. Not obtaining a ticket for the match
c. Not having obtained a ticket for the match d. Not obtained a ticket for the match 1998
10. _____enough time and money, the researchers would have been able to discover more in this field.
a. Giving b.To give c. Given d. Being given 1998
11. He wasn’t asked to take on the chairmanship of the society, ______insufficiently popular with all members.
a. having considered b. was considered c. was being considered d. being considered 1996
12. This may have preserved the elephant from being wiped out as well as other animals ____ in Africa.
a. hunted b. hunting c. that hunted d. are hunted 1996
13. In international matches, prestige is so important that the only thing that matters is to avoid______.
a. from being beaten b. being beaten c. beating d. to be beaten 1996
14. He noticed the helicopter hovering over the field.Then to his astonishment, he saw a rope ladder______ out and three men climbing down it.
a. throwing b. being thrown c. havingthrown d. having been thrown 1995
15. He resented ______to wait. He expected the minister ______ him at once.
a. to be asked, to see b. being asked, to see
c. to be asked, seeing d. being asked, seeing 1995
16. This missile is designed so that once _____nothing can be done to retrieve it.
a. fired b. being fired c. theyfired d. having fired 1995
17. Arriving at the bus stop, _____waiting there.
a. a lot of people were b. he found a lot of people
c. a lot of people d. people were found 1994
18. _____ regular training in nursing, she could hardly cope with the work at first.
a. Not received b. Since receiving c. Having received d. Not having received 1994