1. The opening ceremony is a great occasion. It is essential _____for that.
a. for us to be prepared b. that we are prepared
c. of us to be prepared d. our being prepared 2003
2. _____for the fact that she broke her leg, she might have passed the exam.
a. Had it not been b. Hadn’t it been c. Was itnot d. Were it not 2002
3. “What courses are you going to do next semester?”
“I don’t know.But it’s about time ______on something.”
a. I’d decide b. I decided c. I decide d. I’m deciding 2002
4. All of us would have enjoyed the party much more if there ______quite such a crowd of people there.
a. weren’t b.hasn’t been c. hadn’t been d. wouldn’t be 2000
5. If you have really been studying English for so long, it’s about time you _____able to write letters in English.
a. should be b. were c. must be d. are 1999
6. If your car _____any attention during the first 12 months, take it to an authorized dealer.
a. shall need b. should need c. would need d. will need 1998
7. He left orders that nothing ______touched until the police arrived here.
a. should be b. ought to be c. must be d. would be 1998
8. I was to have made a speech if______.
a. I was not called away b. nobody would have called me away
c. I had not been called away d. nobody called me away 1997
9. I _____ the party much more if there hadn’t been quite such a crowd of people there.
a. would enjoy b. will have enjoyed c. would have enjoyed d. will be enjoying 1996
10. We could _____him with a detached house when hecame, but he had specifically asked for a small flat.
a. provide b. have provided c. notprovide d. not have provided 1995
11. _____, he would not have recovered so quickly.
a. Hadn’t he been taken good care of b. Had he not been taken good care of
c. Had not he been taken good care of d. Had he been not taken good care of 1995
12. _____ your timely advice, I would never have known how to go about the work.
a. Unless b. But for c. Except for d. Not for 1994
13. It was recommended that passengers _____smoke during the flight.
a. not b. need not c. could not d. would not 1994
14. ______you were busy, I wouldn’t have bothered you with my questions.
a. If I realized b. Had I realized c. I realized that d. As I realized 1994