1. Above the trees are the hills, _______ magnificencethe river faithfully reflects on the surface.
a. where b.of whose c. whose d. which 2003
2. They overcame all the difficulties and completedthe project two months ahead of time, _____is something we had not expected.
a. which b.it c. that d. what 2003
3. He is quite worn out from years of hard work. He isnot the man _______ he was twenty years ago.
a. which b.that c. who d. whom 2003
4. We’ve just installed two air-conditioners in ourapartment, ______should make great differences in our life next summer.
a. which b. what c. that d. they 2002
5. Have you ever been in a situation _____ you knowthe other person is right yet you cannot agree with him?
a. by which b. that c. in where d. where 2002
6. Firms that use computers have found that the numberof staff _______is needed for quality control can be substantially reduced.
a. whose b.as c. what d. that 2000
7. I’ve never been to Lhasa, but that’s the city _______.
a. I’d most like to visit b. which I like to visit mostly
c. where I like to visit d. I’d like much to visit 1999
8. She remembered several occasions in the past ____shehad experienced a similar feeling.
a. which b.before c. that d. when 1998
9. The physicist has made a discovery, _____of greatimportance to the progress of science and technology.
a. I think which is b. thatI think is c. which I think is d. I think that is 1997
10. I have never been to London, but that is the city_______.
a. where I like to visit most b. I’d most like to visit
c. which I like to visit mostly d. where I’d like most to visit 1997
11. This company has now introduced a policy _____payrises are related to performance at work.
a. which b.where c. whether d. what 1996
12. Only take these clothes ______really necessary.
a. as were b. as they are c. as theywere d. as are 1994
13. _____ is often the case with a new idea, muchpreliminary activity and optimistic discussion produced no concrete proposals.
a. That b. It c. This d. As 1994