例如：There is no one but knows it.没有一个人不知道此事。
2)can not与副词too,enough, sufficiently, over,too much等词连用时，意为“无论怎样也不过分”，“越…越”。例如：
You cannot be too careful.你越仔细越好。
We cannot praise him too much.我们无论怎样赞扬他也不过分。
break, crack, crush, shatter,break, smash
If you break that vase, you’ll have to pay for it.如果打破了那只花瓶，你就得赔偿。
You may crack these nuts with a hammer.你可以用锤子把这些坚果敲开。
To make wine, you first crush the grapes.若要造酒，需先将葡萄压碎。
The explosion shattered most of the windows in the building.爆炸震碎了那座大楼的大部分窗玻璃。
He smashed the window with a brick.他用砖块击碎窗玻璃。
1. ____ native to North America, corn has now spread all over the world.
A. In spite of B. That it is C. It was D. Although
2. Our civilization cannot be thought of as ____ in a short period of time.
A. to have been created B. to becreated
C. having been created D. beingcreated
3. We feel it is high time that the Government ____something to check the inflation.
A. did B. do C.should do D. would do
4. It has been proposed that we ____ our decision until the next meeting.
A.delayed B.delay C. can delay D. are to delay
5. Hurricanes are severe cyclones with winds over seventy-five miles an hour____ originate over tropical ocean waters.
A. which B. who C. where D.how to
6. ____ is announced in the papers, our country has launched a large-scale movement against smuggling and fraudulent activities in foreign currency exchange deals.
A. What B. As C. Which D. That
7. All the flights ____ because of the snowstorm, we had to take the train instead.
A.were canceled B. had been canceled
C. having canceled D. havingbeen canceled
8. Once ____, this power station will supply all the neighboring towns and villages with electricity.
A. it being completed B. it completed
C. completed D. it completes
9. He might have been killed ____ the timely arrival of the ambulance.
A. but for B. except for C. besides D. except
10. If you have never planted anything, you won’t be able to know the pleasure of watching the thing you have planted ____.
A.grow B. to grow
C. growing D. to be growing
11. He did me a ____ turn by lending me ten pounds.
A. good B. nice C. fine D. pretty
12. Once our chickens started laying eggs, we had such a ____of eggs that we were giving many away to our neighbors.
A. output B. surplus C. production D. plenty
13. Following are comments about the behavior that people in Korea usually expect in various social____.
A. occasions B. cases C.situations D. circumstances
14. They have considered their high standard of living a(n) ____for practising their basic beliefs.
A. award B. reward C. result D. consequence
15. Mac’s close ____ to his brother made people mistake them for one another.
A. resemblance B. identity
C. appearance D. relationship
16. The thieves ____ the waste paper all over the room while they were searching for the diamond ring.
A. spread B. scratched C.scattered D. burned
17. The sight of the fruit salad made our daughter Kit’s mouth ____.
A. wet B. water C. soak D. taste
18. The ____ problem of bring a space-ship back from the moon has been solved.
A. technical B. technological C. technique D. technology
19. A large part of a person’s memory is ____ words and combination of words.
A.by means of B. in terms of
C. in connection with D. byway of
20. At her word she stood up and walked away, stopping at the window to pull back the curtain and ____.
A.look round B. look out C. look up D. look on
21. Their happiness was very ____.
A. crisp B. brittle C. delicate D. fragile
22. I was awfully tired when I got home from work, but a half-hour nap ____ me.
A.revived B. released C. relieved D. recovered
23. We should always keep in mind that ____ decisions often lead to bitter regrets
A.hasty B. instant C. prompt D.rapid
24. Information and opinion gap exercises have to have some content ______ talking about.
A. worthwhile B. worthily C. worth D. worthy
25. “If we fail to act now,”said Tom, “We’ll find ourselves ____ in action later on.”
A.paid back B. paid for C.paid up D.paid off