There’s to be an investigation.
I am to have tea with Betty this afternoon.
The Queen is to visit Japan next year.
You are to stand here. Do you understand?
Tell her she’s not to be back late.
If she comes, I’ll tell her all about it.
Wait here till the meeting is over.
It won’t be long before the rain stops.?
begin, commence, initiate, launch, start
The band began to play joyful music.乐队开始演奏欢快的音乐。
The officer ordered the soldiers to commence the attack.军官命令士兵开始进攻。
The government has initiated a new reform program.政府启动了新的改革方案。
The company will launch an advertising compaign to introduce its new product.那个公司要发起广告攻势推出自己的新产品。
They started operations at once.他们马上开始行动。
1. ____ in the past, at the moment it is a favorite choice for wedding gown.
A. Unpopular has as white been
B. White has been as unpopular
C. Unpopular has been as white
D. Unpopular as white has been
2. ____ for a long time, the fields are all dried up.
A. There has been no rain
B. Having no rain
C. There having been no rain
D. There being no rain
3. The millions of calculations involved, ____ by hand, would have lost all practical value by the time they were finished.
A. had they been done
B. they had been done
C. having been done
D. they were done
4. Televisions enable us to see things happen almost at the exact moment ____
A. which they are happening
B. they are happening
C. which they happen
D. they have happened
5. ____ me most was that the young boy who had lost both arms in an accident could handle a pen with his feet.
A. That amazed B. Itamazed
C.Which amazed D. Whatamazed
6. Although she wrote a lot of short stories and poems when she was very young,____ she was twenty-five.
A. her first real success did not come until
B. her real first success came until not
C. since her first real success did not come until
D. not until her first real success
7.You should know better than ____ your little sister at home by herself.
A. to leave B. leaving C. to have left D. left
8. As the train will not leave until one hour later, we ____grab a bite at the snack bar.
A. may well B.just as well
C. might as well D.as well
9. She resorted to ____ when she had no money to buy foods for her children.
A. have stolen B. steal C. stole D. stealing
10. The boy has admitted to ____ the window while playing football yesterday.
A. breaking B.having been broken
C. break D. bebreaking
11. Betty advised me to label our luggage carefully in case it gets____in transit.
A. misused B. mishandled C. mistaken D. mislaid
12. ____ money, she is quite rich. However, this does not mean that she is happy.
A. Concerning B. As to
C. In terms of D. Inthe light of
13. A well-written composition ____ good choice of words and clear organization among other things.
A. calls for B. calls on C. calls up D. calls off
14. It is ____ with the customer not to let the shop assistants guess what she really likes and wants until the last moment.
A. in her honor B. on her honor
C.a point of honor D.an honor
15. This house will probably come on the ____ next month.
A. fair B. market C. shop D. store
16. George was introduced to ____ activities at a young age, when she was hire to act as a lookout for drug dealers.
A. illegal B. lawful C. faithful D. peaceful
17. An institution that properly carries the name university is a more comprehensive and complex institution than any other kind of higher education____
A. settlement B. establishment C. costruction D. structure
18. People’s status in society is frequently ____ by how much they own.
A. measured B. examined C. tested D. questioned
19. Jack is so ____ to his appearance that he never has his clothes pressed.
A. adverse B. anonymous C. indifferent D. casual
20. There is an increasing ____ to make movies describing violence.
A. strength B. direction C. tradition D. trend
21. Outside my office window there is a fire ____ on the right.
A. escape B. ladder C. steps D. stairs
22. I ____ with the Browns during my stay in New York City.
A. put in B. put down C. put on D. put up
23. Operations which left patients ____ and in need of long periods of discovery time now leave them feeling relaxed and comfortable.
A. exhausted B. unhealthy C. upset D. fearful
24. Farmers are allowed to grow small gardens of their own and they sell their vegetables ____ the black market.
A. on B.at C. in D. for
25. The electric fan does not work because of the ____of service.
A. pause B. break C. interruption D. break down